All iPads Flexible iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pat park, Nov 5, 2013.

1. pat park macrumors 6502a

I don't mean flexible as in it does a lot of things well, I mean flexible as in the case and glass are flexible in movement, unlike previous iPads (heavier iPads).

I guess this is due to the overall thinner shell and display? making for a much lighter iPad, something had to give, like stability?

Try it. Push on the back, by the Apple logo. The display has a little flex, similar to the iPad mini. But I was a bit surprised by the metal back being similarly flexible.

:cool:

2. iDave macrumors 6502a

Why? And why would it worry you? Just asking.

3. pat park thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I don't know, maybe durability? Strength? Afraid the casing could bend.

My iPad Air case flexes on the back. Surprised me. Does yours? Maybe something wrong with mine? Maybe it's okay. maybe they're all like this. Won't know till I ask or look at others.

To clarify, I'm not talking about a 3rd part case. I'm talking the back of my iPad flexes

Does that answer your questions Sherlock Holmes?:D

4. pat park thread starter macrumors 6502a

just checked with a friend of mine and his iPad Air flexes also. he compared it to his iPad 4 and that does not flex. My wife's iPad2 casing is un-flexible as well. Oh well, I guess that's the price you pay for being thin.

I still love my Air. No Flex-gate please!:)

5. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Bear in mind that the iPad Air is way thinner than the previous iPads. Less casing equals more flex. Short of making it out of cast iron, I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Um.....Im not pressing in the rear of the iPad or the screen thanksverymuch. Why the heck would I want to do that???

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

My Air doesn't bend or flex. Why don't people just enjoy their devices and stop trying to look for problems?!?

8. pat park, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

pat park thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the adult discussion MR!
    Carry on.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, it is flexible in a way the older models weren't. But really, that's to be expected. It's 20% lighter than the ipad 2. It's 35% lighter than the original ipad. It's just aluminum and glass, two materials that are extremely flexible when made very thin. I can flex it very slightly if I twist the opposite corners. But it's so minimal that I have to try. The question is why would I want to do that? I'll take the reduced weight thank you very much.

10. iDave macrumors 6502a

Aluminum is a soft metal. I'd be afraid it would dent if I pressed on it to test this. I doubt I'll mishandle the iPad such that it will ever be a problem. Good to know I should be careful though.

11. nws0291 macrumors 6502

The flex is shown in the product videos. The slight flex will prevent the screen from shattering on a lot of drops that would kill the older models.

12. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Having flex is not a bad thing all the time. When you drop it the "give" may keep the screen from shattering, versus a device that is completely rigid.

13. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I don't think anything has changed really. I can flex my ipad 1 if I twist it like im wringing out a towel, and it's the heaviest and thickest ipad made.

14. Macalway macrumors 68000

There must be something wrong with me, but I still haven't tried to flex mine

Do I need to do this now? :confused: