Flicker-gate, you see this on your iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 27, 2014.

?

Do you see this flicker behavior?

1. Yes, I see it.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. No I don't.

29 vote(s)
    76.3%
  3. I don't know, not trying.

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

In pitch blackness, when you turn on the screen for the first time in a while (5 mins+) the screen backlight bleeds white, goes black, then goes to the lock screen. (as if it has to warm up)
    In all other times you turn the screen on, it goes directly to the lock screen. Is this considered "normal" what you guys see on your iPhone 6?

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Mine doesn't do that. When I wake it, it goes right to my lock screen. No bleed, no white.

3. CarbonDudeoxide macrumors newbie

4. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

It does this only the first time you turn on the screen after a long time, but every time after that (turning on and off) it goes directly to lockscreen. I didn't notice it until much later using the device in pitch blackness.

5. JAT macrumors 603

No. And using "gate" in your title for a one-off issue that you don't even understand yet is like yelling FIRE in a theater. How about some maturity and perspective?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I wish the mods would nuke any thread with the word gate in it.

7. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Why are you using gate

8. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I just tested it, and don't get that effect.

I left it off for more than ten minutes, turned off all the lights, and saw nothing but direct to lock screen.

9. a2rob1 macrumors newbie

10. kerrikins macrumors 65816

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Stop trying to stir up more worthless drama.

12. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

So a non issue that the OP hope would become viral and he would have started the master thread on it. Can we just lock this now?

13. Starfyre, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

This may be pointless to some, but not to me, or anyone else who may be seeing this same occurrence. If it were not for this thread, who knows how many people would not be looking for or check for this issue.

For those of you that have checked and tested, thank you for your honest observations in helping me realize that I have a imperfect device that slipped past Apple's quality control.

14. wxman2003 Suspended

There is no Flicker gate. It's YOUR phone. You have started a lot of paranoid threads. Apparently you have a million things wrong with your phone, yet you do not return. What are you waiting for? You just keep starting new threads. You hear noises when you shake your phone. You hear no audio from some of your apps. Your battery drains faster with cell data and wifi on. And so on. Exchange it already instead of starting new threads.

15. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

Flicker-gate, you see this on your iPhone 6?

My 6 does this. It doesn't flicker, but the screen sort of goes from black to dim and gets brighter like turning a dimmer switch on.
    Only happens after the phone has been off use for like an hour, like its warming up

16. Starfyre, Sep 27, 2014

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I am glad you don't work for Apple support. :) The other "observations" have turned out to be non-issues thanks to this great community. The iPhone is new to me, unlike you and many others here, this is my first iPhone, I know nothing of what is and is not normal. All I know is this is an expensive Apple product, and I need to know what is actually wrong and not. If it is all normal I would love to not go through hassle of exchanging if I can avoid it especially having to line up for so long just for this one phone. Maybe you don't know what that feels like.

17. wxman2003 Suspended

You have 14 days to return. You are still in that time window. After that you have to prove the problem exists to Apple to get an exchange. They are not going to stand next to you for 5 to 10 minutes waiting for you to turn screen on to show the problem. So if you want to return or exchange, you better do it now. I highly doubt you will get a replacement after your 14 days is up.

18. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

Nope. It's not a -gate, it's just your janky iphone.

19. scaredpoet, Sep 27, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

1. Does this "issue" affect the performance or operation of the phone?

2. Does the phone crash, heat up, or exhibit any behaviors that may indicate that it may stop working?

3. Are apps not operating or any features not working as specified?

If the answer to all of the above is no, then I would not consider what you're experiencing a problem. Rather, what you have is something that requires a specific set of circumstances to replicate, that doesn't directly affect the operation of the phone. That's not really the definition of a defect.

In any case, you have a full year to get your phone serviced, should whatever it is you're experiencing develop into something more problematic.

For what it's worth: the fact that you seem to have a lot of "observations" that turn out to be nothing suggest to me that you're obsessing really hard over this device to intentionally find defects or things to be concerned over. To be blunt, that's not healthy. Use your iPhone. Enjoy it. The purpose of such a device isn't to stare at every curve and crevice and every subtle behavior to find flaws. .

Rather, the purpose is for it to aid you in a wide variety of tasks and life situations, or which you hopefully have enough activities in your life that you don't have TIME to be staring obsessively at your phone looking for subtle defects that might not exist.

20. 1968 macrumors regular

Wordmisusegate. Dramagate. Nonissuegate. Gategate.

21. laudern macrumors 6502a

farmgate?

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Here's some more food for thought: It's totally possible that some percentage of iPhone 6/Pluses have screens that behave like the OPs, while some don't. And yet both types are considered normal and not defective.

Why? Because not all iPhones have exactly the same components.

All the key iPhone parts (CPU, RAM, LCD) have more than one supplier. The A8 chip is rumored to be 60% made by TSMC, 40% by Samsung. The LCD could be similar: Maybe Samsung or LG is making some, while Sharp is making the rest.

This has been true through all iPhone generations, and even beyond just the iPhone. Macs, PCs, other smartphones, and any other device where millions of them have to be made end up like this. Even cars and refrigerators and other factory made things have multiple vendors for each part. It's just something that makes sense to do, so if one supplier folds on you, you have a backup plan.

Now, all of these parts have to meet certain specifications. But obscure things like "whether the LCD looks blank for a split second after being powered off for more than 5 minutes" might not exactly be on the spec sheet. So, maybe LCDs from one supplier look white for a fraction of a second when this happens, while the other supplier's LCDs don't do it.

I'm actually surprised that the annual "my iPhone looks more blue/yellow/red than my friend's iPhone" hasn't reared its ugly head yet. Maybe people are too busy bending their phones to notice any display color variations this time around. (EDIT: Oops, nevermind.)

23. PJ. macrumors regular

If the head of Microsoft has a problem with the door to his garden is that Gates' GateGate?

24. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Interesting, never noticed that. Going to check it out on our 6 and 6+..