Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Has anyone else noticed distractingly bad flicker when using this screen mode to watch film-based material? If you watch any low-light scene, it is beyond annoying. Pausing the video playback shows that it is an issue with the video being output rather than a natural side-product of the lower frame-rate.

This is on a B6 OLED. 60Hz mode is fine. Anyone else notice this or solved the issue in any way?

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
No problems whatsoever for me when watching my iTunes/Vimeo films in 24hz mode.
What HDMI cable are you using? Could it be a problem with your TV?
I'm using the Apple recommended Belkin cable and a Panasonic EX700 TV and ZERO issues from day one with my Apple TV 4k which i've had for 7 months now.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Yup frame rate matching is enabled and the cable is fine. It might be a B6 specific problem, so if anyone with that specific LG OLED could test, it would be awesome. Again, low-light scenes will show it in the black areas of the picture. If you pause it then it continues to flicker.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Certainly seems to be a B6 problem. Damn LG!!!
The very best of luck and hopefully, Apple will look into this as it's a 4:4:4 problem. Apple really seem to be on the ball with the Apple TV 4K so crossed fingers for you buddy!

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Having decent results since swapping from YCbCr to RGB so will see if that solves the issue.

Matthew Essex

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
London
Set your trumotion settings to custom 0 and 0 and it should solve the issue if I remember correctly on my B6
[doublepost=1529071877][/doublepost]It used to affect my main app screen as well as watching movies and this solved it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: geesus

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
So far I don't face such issue after using High Speed HDMI cable.

Previously I can't set RGB High or Chroma 4.2.2 when using a normal speed HDMI cable where the screen keep flickering with popping sound.

Reactions: Audit13

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Has anyone else noticed distractingly bad flicker when using this screen mode to watch film-based material? If you watch any low-light scene, it is beyond annoying. Pausing the video playback shows that it is an issue with the video being output rather than a natural side-product of the lower frame-rate.

This is on a B6 OLED. 60Hz mode is fine. Anyone else notice this or solved the issue in any way?

I also have the LG OLED65C6P 4K UHD SMART OLED, which is the 2016 model. It doesn't support 24fps with Dolby Vision, nor does it support Atmos over HDMI. It's still receives a Dolby Vision signal from ATV and looks great, but I can't use 24fps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.