flickering backlight

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Magsec4, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Magsec4 macrumors member

has anyone noticed their backlight flickering for the few seconds it dims before the device goes to sleep mode?

I've noticed it on my new 32gb touch which I just got yesterday and I'm worried that it's a bad sign.

2. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Yeah I have a 16gb touch and it flickers on lowest brightness setting which is what it goes into just before sleeping. In fact i thought about returning mine as well for that but before I did i went into all the stores that had ipod touches/iphones on display and they all seem to do it to some degree. Many of which are worse then mine. Since my screen was otherwise perfect and I don't use it on the lowest brightness i decided it wasn't worth it. My guess is its probably a design flaw with Revision A devices that apple will eventually figure out. Thank goodness for the warranty.

3. christopher3071 macrumors regular

me too!

my 16 gb iPod touch does this and it drives me crazy. I use low backlight maybe 75% of the time. Anyone return their iPod touch/iphone because of this? I'm seriously considering it. It seems to happen only when pages are loading or when wifi is active in general. I have 1.1.4 but it's done it since I bought it (1.1.2) or late November. Whichever came first.

4. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Try disabling Auto Brightness... this stopped my screen flickering.

5. godisjustpreten macrumors member

I disabled auto-brightness because of extreme flickering. It still flickers a bit when doing things like loading pages while on lowest brightness setting.

6. christopher3071 macrumors regular

I did that naturally to find the cause of the flickering. Didn't help. Return box on its way. I'll let you know what apple has to say.

7. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

It's probably an available power thing. The backlight takes a lot of power. If the OS is busy with other tasks, there isn't enough power to fully deliver to the display.

8. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Apple

Apple just sent me back my iPod touch saying no trouble was found. This is BS as I use my touch all the time with the backlight at the lowest setting and the dimming/flickering is unacceptable. It only occurs when the processor is running so in my opinion it is a flaw of the product. I will not rest until I am satisfied.

AppleCare Email: "Our technicians have performed full diagnostic checks on your IPOD TOUCH and have been unable to reproduce the symptom(s) you reported when you requested the repair."
    - I wonder if they use real life settings when doing 'diagnostic checks' and sit in a dark room where the issue would be actually visible

9. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Then wouldn't this problem be more obvious when the display was set to it's brightest? But the issue only occurs when the display is on it's lowest brightness setting. Using the display at the lowest should have the smallest effect according to your argument.

10. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

I notice this too and it's very annoying, I may consider bringing it to Wal-Mart since I bought their warranty plan as well, so I should be able to turn it back with little to no problems.