Flickering Beach Ball

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Verdanice, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Verdanice macrumors regular

Hi,

I've been searching for some sort of answer to this one and I've found a couple posts about it but most are by the same person on different forums - such as here and here.

When I get the beach ball (honestly, is there a technical name for that damn thing?) on my Macbook Pro, it flickers much of the time. It seems to go from normal to a translucent sort of appearance very rapidly. It happens most of the time get a beach ball in the first place and I can't think what could be causing it as there are so few other reports of it that I've come across - and usually Mac users are the first to mention every problem we have.

I think I'll try to capture a video of it doing it later on with iShowU, but I'm not sure if it captures that cursor state.

I did an upgrade from Tiger soon before I decided to just format and clean install as I has having a load of problems with the install. I've had the RAM replaced on the unit in relation to other problems I was having, there was no change with this issue after that. Clearly this wasn't an issue on Tiger.

So, anybody have a fresh idea on what this could be? This is the sort of issue that if I go to the Genius bar with I'll just be given a reassuring 'it doesn't matter' in the end, not that I blame them as it really isn't a huge issue I don't think.

However, as this other poster has mentioned (the one who posted the two I linked to above), I think I may be getting the beach ball more often than I ever did in Tiger. I'm pretty sure it's every time I get the beach ball for more than a second or two that this happens, but if there are major culprits, it's Parallels (of course, it's a hog by nature) and Firefox (I love thee but please stop raping my Mac), which 'beachballs' forty times in an average day, I'd estimate. Like him, this is the first Mac I've owned (before this it was just machines at work) so I don't have much to compare to - this is also the only machine I have access to with Leopard on it.

2. rhyndu macrumors regular

I've noticed this a lot on matte screen MacBookPros - even at the Apple store!

Is your display matte or glossy?

I'd say don't worry about it but if it really bothers you, take it to the GB and demand that they fix it... or else.:)

:cool:

3. iBunny macrumors 65816

I get this too on my 2.4GHz Matte MBP. Its got to be because of the Video Card Drivers... its my only guess.

4. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Me too! It doesn't bother me that much, really, but graphics seems like a likely culprit.

5. rhyndu macrumors regular

I don't know. I see ~50 MBPs a month and although I've seen a fair number of matte screens that have the flickering beachball (only about two that haven't) but not a single glossy screen. I don't think its different vidieocard drivers.