Flickering on dual link dvi adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sejanus, Apr 14, 2009.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

hey guys

I have a 8x2.93 with 2 x 30" apple displays & the ati 4870.

I have the displayport to dual-link dvi adapter to use both monitors.

The monitor connected to the dvi port on the card is fine.

The monitor connected via the adapter occasionally 'flickers' or kinda turns on/off very quickly.

It's very intermittent. Often will go hours without doing it, but regularly does it 3-5 times a day.

I've tried swapping monitors around, and the problem follows the adapter.

I've also got a 2nd adapter here spare (that I sometimes use for my laptop) that I swapped in as a test and the same happens.

Smells to me like a firmware bug.

I rang apple and amusingly they told me to run the vga firmware update. I told them it was not vga and they told me I still needed to run it. When I ran it of course the updating program said "no vga displays connected". Real smart advice there. They are looking into it and said they might be 5 days.

EDIT - both monitors work fine on my old macpro in dual display, the late 2006 model. it's something with the stupid adapter.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Correct!! Your not the first person to have reported flickers with the uses of the adapter and I doubt you'll be the last.

3. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

You know, I am amazed that Apple has YET to reply/acknowledge and/or fix this problem. It is pervasive and applies to ALL Apple computers trying to use a 30" screen via the miniDisplay port. I've seen the problem on both types of unibody MacBook Pros, and three Nehalem Mac Pros. Every time, you get a flicker at best.

Apple basically has ONE WORKING MONITOR--the 24" glossy--that works consistently with its new computer offerings. I can't believe after nearly five months of offering the adapter a solution has not been found.

I almost think a class action lawsuit could be contemplated here by owners of the adapter cable. Someone has to light the fire under Apple to get them to focus on them.

I find it hilarious that when you call customer service/Applecare you get the reaction that this problem is news to them!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

4. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

Well it took months but apple eventually fixed this problem - by sending me a gtx 285 (for free) so that I wouldn't have to use the crap displayport adapters as the gtx 285 has 2 x dvi ports.

Though they were happy to do this in the end it was me who had to suggest it. Otherwise I'd still be going around in circles with their support guys

At one point they sent me a new displayport adapter with a "unreleased firmware upgrade" on it - it didn't fix the problem though.

These displayport adapters are just junk. I don't see what is wrong with dvi and why the need to change.