Flickering on Mac Book Pro 17" High Res screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Barret Oliver, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Barret Oliver macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2.4g Mac Book Pro 17" with a High-Res screen and I'm running 10.5.2. I've noticed that when I resize a window, sometimes the bottom bar of the window will flicker silver as it's being resized.

I've also noticed that Safari will display text that's all messed up (lines of text overlapping) and I have to resize the Safari window in order to have it present properly.

And I've also noticed that when running videos (mostly embedded in Safari like you would find on CNN or YouTube), there is a ghastly flickering of white blocks on the screen.

Does anybody know if this is a hardware problem or a software problem, and if software, is it only related to the high-res screens? I had the computer for about a week before upgrading to 10.5.2, and I don't seem to remember this on 10.5.1, but I could be mistaken.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

My gut says it's a software problem, but I've never seen or heard of this before. Does your 2.4 have the ATI video card, or NVIDIA? (I can't remember exactly when they made the switch.)

3. Barret Oliver thread starter macrumors newbie

4. pforan macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem!

Hey -- I have a brand new mbp 15" 2.4 10.5.2 with the 256MB NVidia graphics card, and I'm experiencing precisely the same thing as the OP. I get flickering white boxes (not pixels -- these are about 1 inch square, sometimes just one, sometimes several of them in a row or an L-shaped pattern) in several scenarios: occasionally when watching videos on the internet (first noticed watching iPhoto tutorials on Apple's site!); occasionally with online flash menus; occasionally when scrubbing through events in iPhoto; always when using the cursor to select multiple photos in iPhoto (i.e., when I move the cursor, I get flickering white boxes over the images I'm selecting). Strange thing is, I've had this computer for three weeks now, and this only started happening yesterday.

Anyone have any insight?

5. Remk macrumors newbie

Same problem here. 17" macbook pro 2.4 ghz, I've been having it for weeks and can't get this problem solved. Anyone have any idea's?

6. Barret Oliver thread starter macrumors newbie

The 10.5.3 update doesn't fix it either. :confused:

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It sounds like bad video memory. Don't wait until your warranty runs out. Have Apple fix it.