Flickering/"pixel walk"? Anyone else see this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soldierblue, Jun 16, 2012.

1. soldierblue, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

soldierblue macrumors 6502

So I'm enjoying my two-day old 13 inch MBP when I fire up Steam and see this quick, eye-strain inducing flickering in and around some of the textured grey portions of the Steam UI. I went looking around and notice a similar effect on some web pages with semi-similar graphical elements. I'm going to be driving up past my closest Apple Store, so I made a Genius Bar appointment to have them take a look.

But my question to you is, do you get a similar effect on your machines? I tried this on four machines in the house (including an alder 13 inch MBP), and this was the only one that exhibits this. But I dunno, should I expect to be able to get this fixed?

Here's an image of one of the offending patterns/color schemes (I confirmed this image causes the effect on this machine):

http://i.minus.com/iqSZFZJa9xS9E.png

2. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Guessing as to what you mean, I've seen this happen on various screens when the image displayed is of a higher resolution that what the screen supports, so the bits of the image 1px wide are scaled down to below 1px, therefore unviewable on a typical screen; so when you move the image it 'flickers' if you will.

3. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

4. soldierblue thread starter macrumors 6502

I took it in and they figured to give me a new one. This one does the exact same thing. But this one seems to be a bit on the cooler side and it seems brighter (downside is that the effect is more apparent on higher brightness settings), too.

I'll never get it, Apple positions themselves as a premium brand and they'll just skimp on things like this.

It was the same deal when I owned an iMac. Why is it when I go and buy the cheapest 27 inch monitor I can get it's fine, but when I look at an iMac, half the screen is tinted yellow? I went and bought a $700 Acer last year with what I'm sure is the cheapest panel they could get for it, it was fine.

5. slowpoke macrumors regular

slowpoke

Getting exactly the same thing on my new 13" MBP – have so far only noticed really egregious flickering on Steam's UI due to the awful 1px diagonal line pattern it's got. Pretty shameful oversight, but I can live with it.

6. shnn2011 macrumors member

shnn2011

Same issue here Apple is refusing to acknowledge the issue.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1735621