Flickering screen, Aluminium,unibody MB non pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deadjoe2002, Dec 15, 2009.

1. deadjoe2002 macrumors member

My non-pro Aluminium Unibody MB has developed a screen flickering issue where by horizontal white lines appear occasionally when I move the screens position, it also occasionally rests so that on the lower right corner every over line of pixels is whited out. This isn't a software problem as far I can tell i.e. it doesn't show up on screenshots. Its a few weeks out of warranty and I'm taking it into my local apple store soonish, I do have a few questions tho:

Firstly, any one any ideas whats causing it? my first thoughts were of a loose connection, if so whats the penalty of opening up my macbook to see if i can fix it, I'm full competent at doing this I just concerned it might not go down so well if I do end up at the apple store (remember it is out of warranty).

Secondly if I do go into the store, they look at the macbook, is there then a diagnostics fee? i.e. will it cost me anything even if I decided to do the repair myself?

Finally anyone else had this problem?

Thanks Joe

2. deadjoe2002 thread starter macrumors member

I'm currently using an 85w magsafe adapter instead of the normal 60w, could this have caused the problem?

3. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

i had the same problem with my uMB. I had to ship it back to get the LCD replaced and it came back with the same problem. Shipped it back again and it was fixed the 2nd time around.

4. deadjoe2002 thread starter macrumors member

Did they say what they changed second time around? I ask because if just been to the apple store and they came up with 3 options, loose connection, faulty LCD panel or faulty logic board. Quoted me £543 (~$900) for possible maximum repair bill. Is there anyway of them knowing I've opened her up? and even if there is does it matter that I do it given its out of warranty?

5. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

they said they replaced the LCD both times. I wouldn't open her up...

SO it seems as if this is a pretty common problem in these notebooks..