Flickering Screen Issue (Early 2008 Macbook)

mt6272

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I recently upgraded from 2gb to 6gb ram.
Now, my macbook has done this twice in the two days since upgrading:

http://youtu.be/HHTyQ9xcNq0

When it happens, my macbook is completely unresponsive. I must hold down the power button to turn it off- when it books back up, everything works fine again.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? (Hopefully besides removing the ram which has really sped up my macbook otherwise)

foo0110

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
Malaysia
Is the RAM compatible with your macbook? Try using only one RAM to see whether problem still there, swap to verify each of the RAM.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Is the RAM compatible with your macbook? Try using only one RAM to see whether problem still there, swap to verify each of the RAM.
Agreed - looks like a faulty ram stick - as above suggestion run with only one stick of ram in the machine and work out which stick is faulty (though could be both...)

mt6272

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sound advice - will give it a go.
Worst comes to worst I have a liberal return policy to fall back on.

mt6272

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I think I have isolated the problem.

I first switched the modules. This worked well for a little while. Then, my macbook shut down in the midst of me running a few safari browsers. It started to blink with the front led and make a loud noise - 3 beeps/ blinks in succession, then a pause... repeating over and over.

I tried running just the 4gb module in each slot. No luck. Then the 2gb module - now my macbook works. It seems like a case of plain bad ram. Will be returning. Thanks for the help folks!