Flickering when waking from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petz0ldt, May 6, 2009.

1. petz0ldt macrumors member

So I get home from work today and open my uni mbp, it wakes from sleep, I put in my password and I notice that my screen is slightly flickering. The flickering happens for a few seconds and then stops. Its not like the screen turning off/on kinda flickering its very slight but I am guessing its still bad news. It happens when plugged in or on battery. It happens on the 9400 and 9600. The screen also flickers when viewing things like this:

http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~lucas/background.html

or scrolling on certain pages.

I bought this comp when the unibodies first came out. Is this a sign that the graphics cards are faulty? anyone else have this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

yep, flickering on low brightness levels? Mine does it on the 9400 when cold and does it on the 9600 when cpu is hot. It's like a slight 'pulsing' 'wavering' dimming in and out very subtlely, very quickly especially noticeable on white backgrounds. Goes away after awhile.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Well if it makes you feel better, my uMBP is flickering like crazy with that webpage open. :eek:

4. delude macrumors 6502

Mine does the same, bought in October. Doesn't matter whether it's just woken up from sleep or not, although I would say it does it around 80% of the time when on a brightness setting under a half.

I'm really not sure what to do though, as from my experience, 'Geniuses' may just dismiss it and say that there is nothing to worry about and that they can't see the problem. Plus there is the transferring of all of your data and applications.

I just want a perfect MBP :(

5. petz0ldt thread starter macrumors member

yeah mine flickers all the time with that web page open. i just recently changed my background to a lighter one so maybe that is why i am noticing it. and idk if its because the computer is hot, mine is generally pretty cool when it wakes from sleep 25-35c.

maybe i will give apple a call if it starts to get worse. i will be pissed if they tell me they cant fix it. $2800 for a screen that flickers:mad:

6. jgo78 macrumors 6502

keep us posted

7. Jottle macrumors 6502

Many many mbp's have this problem. Widespread issue. Check the apple forums.