Flight Boarding passes on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zed2, May 14, 2015.

1. zed2 macrumors 6502a

Lots of airlines are now putting the boarding passes on the Apple Watch, and that's super handy.. But really it's a complete fail until the airports change their scanners so the watches will fit under them.

It's also an issue as in lots of places the scanner is not somewhere you can put your wrist to be scanned.

This is going to take a huge re-education and re-design for all those places to make the scanners accessible.

2. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I flew American Airlines yesterday out of LAX and used my watch to get through both TSA and to board the plane. No scanner problems for me.

3. zed2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I think you got lucky.. or may be the US scanners are where Apple tested this..

I flew from London to Dubai and back to London yesterday both sides could not handle the watch..

At London I was able to get through security with the watch but could not get into BA lounge or onto the plane.. Had to resort to the phone.

4. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Seems like I read an article awhile back about this issue being related to a specific carrier.

What carrier did you use? Honestly, I'm not going to be the guy holding up the boarding so I can use my apple watch. Seems like TSA isn't a problem (and security in general).

5. zed2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I was flying with British Airways.. but any Airline flying out of London airports will be effected as they all have the same Clam style scanner..

It looks like this:

access-BGR125-reading-NFC-phone.jpg

6. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Flying from China and Europe to the U.S. All laptops and phones had to boot up and be working in order to board. I wonder about the Watch.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I've used mobile passes several times on Southwest, at least when actually boarding the plane. I haven't tried it at the TSA yet. It might be somewhat awkward with the way the scanners are set up.

8. zed2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup was subjected to a random check leaving Dubai this week... They made me turn on my Macbook Air.. which I thought was very funny... there's no space in it for anything even if I had removed all the guts!

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

too bad

too bad the united app just doesn't work AT ALL.

10. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I've flown twice with Apple Watch. The TSA scanner, at least at the airports I was at, makes me flip my wrist so upside down and behind the counter that it's easier to use the phone and place it there.

American Airlines boarding works fine though. My arm fits under the scanner.

11. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I travel a lot--but still print my boarding passes. I have seen enough phones dropped, and the printed pass often scans faster. If they set up the scanners to handle a watch better I might give it a try.

12. narenh macrumors newbie

narenh

Had no issues flying SFO->JFK. The TSA PreCheck logo on my United boarding pass was very small, and the lady peered at it for a while before letting me into the PreCheck line. The Centurion Lounge uses a handheld scanner which worked fine as well.

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I used United App with no problems. But I did load the ticket onto the passbook app to make sure.

14. Glene macrumors 6502

15. littlezumbo macrumors member

As I've been flying out of Asian hubs recently, I won't be familiar with this clam-style scanner until this summer when we travel to London. I assume the problem is that the space is too narrow and not just that it requires an awkwardly positioned arm, yes? If the latter -- and I can only assume it's been tried already -- but might wearing the AW with its face on your palm side provide a fix?