Flight Tracker Widget: Says my bro's plane is 2 hours late he's landed!!

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
This widget must suffer from the same problem as the weather one. i.e it's wildly inaccurate.

Says my brothers plane from Tokyo is 2hrs and 29 mins late, when actually, he's landed and is in the car on his way home...

Oops. :rolleyes:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
GIGO -- Garbage in, Garbage out

(talking about the quality of data NOT about airline food. But then...)

Just garbage out I think. Correct flight info is/was available online from BAA (Brit Air Authority).

Wonder where they get the widget info feed from cos it ain't right.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
AlBDamned said:
Just garbage out I think. Correct flight info is/was available online from BAA (Brit Air Authority).

Wonder where they get the widget info feed from cos it ain't right.
No, it's still GIGO -- unless the widget actually falsifies correct data that it received. Your second sentence hits the nail on the head -- it is getting bad information from the data feed the widget is programmed to use.

GIGO doesn't mean that there isn't the right information available (somewhere), just that the information chosen as input is unreliable.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
No, it's still GIGO -- unless the widget actually falsifies correct data that it received. Your second sentence hits the nail on the head -- it is getting bad information from the data feed the widget is programmed to use.

GIGO doesn't mean that there isn't the right information available (somewhere), just that the information chosen as input is unreliable.
Actually you're absolutely right with GIGO, C.Ram. Must have a duff link somewhere.

A.Spider: It still says, even after re-fresh, that the flight is currently 2.26 hours late and not landed. I made my mum have kittens when I called her to say he was running late. She'd sent my father to pick him up slightly early just to be safe!

All's well though. Quite funny really.

Edit: Now I get what you mean. No, the flight was only about 15 minutes late.

GIGO. I'm going to go with that. :cool:

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Same issue here, sometimes the flight tracker widget is perfect, and sometimes it never shows the plane as taking off. I can't figure it out.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have always had plenty of luck with the flight tracker widget. i've used it countless times to track where my dads flight is, and figure out exactly when i need to leave to pick him up. :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
AlBDamned said:
This widget must suffer from the same problem as the weather one. i.e it's wildly inaccurate.

Says my brothers plane from Tokyo is 2hrs and 29 mins late, when actually, he's landed and is in the car on his way home...

Oops. :rolleyes:
The data comes from here. They do warn that flight data will probably be wrong outside Canada and the US :(

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
i have seen multi-sources for flight info not match through the years. doesn't suprise me you got the wrong information.