Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
here's something I don't understand. In iOS 9 they have a data detector that does a fantastic job of tracking flights. It even has a live map. But, they do nothing with it. You can enter the flight number in the message app and press on it to see the status. Why don't they have a widget for it or some kind of notification? In iOS 10 do they do more pro active things with it?

Reactions: boston04and07

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
here's something I don't understand. In iOS 9 they have a data detector that does a fantastic job of tracking flights. It even has a live map. But, they do nothing with it. You can enter the flight number in the message app and press on it to see the status. Why don't they have a widget for it or some kind of notification? In iOS 10 do they do more pro active things with it?
Wow. Just tried it. Didn't know it could do that.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
And this capability is expanding in iOS 10 right now it's just some popular musicians and movies but I'm sure it'll be more than that by launch. I agree that this is a feature crying out for more exposure and usability.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Wow. Just tried it. Didn't know it could do that.
I didn't know you could do it either - as someone who travels a lot I'd really like better notifications about flights - gates, delays, arrival time. i've been using tripcase, which is great, but i'd prefer iOS to do it on its own w/o my intervention. they clearly have all of the information... I think apple needs to be a bit more aggressive with pushing information. I realize they don't want to cross the "annoying" line - but I think they're too conservative now.
[doublepost=1467898200][/doublepost]
IMG_4340.jpg
here is what it looks like - the drawing of the plane shows you where it is on the route .

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
So I'm on a plane now and your saying there is a way to view where I am on a live map? Do I have to like message myself the flight number or send in an email to myself or something?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I didn't know you could do it either - as someone who travels a lot I'd really like better notifications about flights - gates, delays, arrival time. i've been using tripcase, which is great, but i'd prefer iOS to do it on its own w/o my intervention. they clearly have all of the information... I think apple needs to be a bit more aggressive with pushing information. I realize they don't want to cross the "annoying" line - but I think they're too conservative now.
What they are trying to do - and it may be their undoing unless they can find a way to do it as effectively as their competitors - is maintain your privacy. I get it, but it might be nice if they gave us an opt out. I really don't do anything I don't want anyone to know about on my phone, so I'm good if my info gets processed somehow to give me proactive alerts. The flight tracking in Messages is nice, but its limited and you have to type something into Messages to access it. That doesn't make a lot of sense if its just me that wants to know if my flight is on time.
[doublepost=1467898313][/doublepost]
So I'm on a plane now and your saying there is a way to view where I am on a live map? Do I have to like message myself the flight number or send in an email to myself or something?
You have to send yourself or someone else a message with the flight number in it. Doesn't work for all airlines. If it doesn't work for your flight try DL 496 as a test.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
you can also type it into the notes app. so for example jet blue would be JetBlue#1201 you need the number sign and flight number

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
And this capability is expanding in iOS 10 right now it's just some popular musicians and movies but I'm sure it'll be more than that by launch. I agree that this is a feature crying out for more exposure and usability.

Wrong thread?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Couldn't you just ask SIRI this?
Clearly, the intent (at least as it works in Messages) is to allow you to send someone a message, such as: "I will be coming in on Delta #496 tonight. See you when I get there". With the flight number acting as a quick link to the flight info, it means you get the information right there in line, without needing to do anything but lay your thumb on the link. Sure, there are multiple ways to get this info, but this one is about convenience and typical users' use cases.

Reactions: matrix07

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
[doublepost=1467898200][/doublepost] View attachment 639313 here is what it looks like - the drawing of the plane shows you where it is on the route .
I suspect Apple are quietly testing this out in production. They're known for doing that.

Once the kinks are worked out it'll appear at some keynote with a fanfare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.