Flights to Vienna

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ja Di ksw, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hello everyone,
    I'm about to move to Vienna, Austria from the US. I'm bringing two cats with me, and would prefer to fly to the Vienna International Airport non-stop so I don't have to worry about the cats with transfers, traveling too long, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Chicago, the closest city, flies there non-stop. Does anyone know of any way to find out which airports I can get to Vienna from with a non-stop flight?
    Thank you.

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I used to live just north of Vienna in a town called Tulln. I loved Austria, it is probably my favorite country in Europe, well, second to the Netherlands. But it's so nice, awesome lifestyle too!

As far as flights, I know you can fly from IAD and I'm sure JFK in New York. Just do some searching on like vayama or something.

3. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I believe Austrian Airlines flies directly from JFK in New York City to Vienna directly. Otherwise, you'll need to fly from a major US gateway to either London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Munich and transfer to another flight to Vienna.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Have you thought of flying into Munich instead and then renting a car to drive to Vienna? It's a pretty straight shot on the highway and the roads are very well maintained.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

You'd probably be better off transferring in north america, maybe taking a few hours' (or maybe overnight) stop over so you can take the animals out give them a break from traveling. This would be a lot harder after arriving in the EU. The only remotely accessible origin airports with nonstop service across the pond to Wien are YYZ, IAD, and JFK (only OS flies North America-VIE). Pearson is probably the closest of the three to you, but I'd check the customs regulations on animal transfers in Canada with both the airline and the Canadian government before booking travel.

You could probably also fly a straight shot into MUC and take a train or rental car if that strikes your fancy.

6. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thank you all for the help and advice. It's looking like there's not an airport that's very close to me that will take me there. I'm a little hesitant about just transferring, as I don't know of any place within an airport the cats could be taken out for a break. I'm thinking of doing the Munich flight and driving to Vienna. The 4 hour ride isn't a problem for me, and I could let the cats run around in the car while it's in the lot, then just put them back in the cages for the actual driving.

I assume it's fine, but will a US driver's license cover me for driving in Germany / Austria?

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

You should be alright, but since you'll actually be living there, obtaining an IDP before you leave would probably be wise.

8. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thank you, I'll go to the DMV tomorrow and ask them about getting an IDP.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I only spent a few hours in Vienna, but from the train ride from Vienna to Venice was nothing short of spectacular. I'm sure you'll like it there! Also you might want to look up the veternary requirements for Austria, a little prep work will save you a lot of headaches and surprises.

10. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I didn't make it to Venice when I was in Europe earlier this year, but the ride from Sacile to Vienna was also breathtaking.

I talked to a vet while I was in Vienna, she said that all they needed was a microchip (check), a pet passport (check) and a rabies shot that's at least 30 days old (will be old enough on Feb 28th).

However, that's for Austria. I'm a little nervous that Germany will have a different requirement that will make it hard/impossible to fly into Germany and rent a car to bring them into Austria.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

6 months while holding an international permit
    from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_965.html

"A U.S. driver’s license alone is not sufficient to drive in Austria. The U.S. driver’s license must be accompanied by an international driver’s permit (obtainable in the U.S. from American Automobile Association and the American Automobile Touring Alliance) or by an official translation of the U.S. driver’s license, which can be obtained at one of the Austrian automobile clubs (OEAMTC or ARBOE). This arrangement is only acceptable for the first six months of driving in Austria, after which all drivers must obtain an Austrian license."

edit: for driving don't forget for rental car that it has to have an austrian autobahn vignette of the current year.. since you are renting in germany you should ask for that