FlightTrack real-time flight tracker/mapper released

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bkazez, Nov 17, 2008.

1. bkazez macrumors newbie

Hello,

I wanted to give a quick plug for FlightTrack, a new flight tracking app for iPhone and iPod touch. It's helpful for tracking your own flights and itineraries while on the go, or keeping tabs on family and friends en route. It also features really cool real-time flight maps so you can see exactly where your incoming flights are.

http://www.benkazez.com/flighttrack/

Enjoy!
    Ben
    --
    Ben Kazez
    FlightTrack - Track your flights on iPhone and iPod touch.

Attached Files:

2. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Congrats on getting your app out there. May I offer a couple of suggestions? You tout the map view as a big feature, why not include a screen shot of it? Also, I would be afraid $4.99 may be too high of a price for an app of this nature. Hopefully I'm wrong! Good luck.

3. Pooshka macrumors 65816

4. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

It looks like a very well done app to me. Although the other poster may be right about pricing. Time will tell, good luck with it. :)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks pretty good to me. Congratulations and good luck.:D

6. bkazez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm attaching a screenshot of the flight tracker maps.

Regarding non-US international flights, I would love to see this feature as well, and our data provider is working on readying this for a release in the future. Stay tuned!

Ben
    --
    Ben Kazez
    FlightTrack - Track your flights on iPhone and iPod touch.

Attached Files:

7. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Good luck on this app, although @ $4.99 it might be to steep for many.;)

8. lunarmac macrumors member

Yeah it looks good.
    Reminds me of a souped up version of Flight Status back in my Palm Treo days (that was free by the way :)

Anyway, I agree that the price might be too high when another flight tracker from SplashData is only 2.99 but then again there is another one for 4.99. I see the sweet spot would be the at 3.99 or just undercut both for 1.99. But again you can always try to ramp up interest by doing a one day freebie :)

Good luck and great work.

9. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Version 2.0 released!!!

- Added gate numbers & baggage claim info for most flights.
    - Dramatically improved flight delay and cancelation updates.
    - Expanded to full international coverage.

10. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I purchased this application. Tried it out the other day, wife was on a flight..was amazed by the accuracy.

Great application, well worth the money.

11. brezz macrumors member

Anyone else having problems getting the app to work? It was working well for me until I downloaded v.2 and now it keeps telling me I'm offline (even though my internet and other apps are working). I emailed Ben and he mentioned others might be having this problem too.

Brian

12. bkazez thread starter macrumors newbie

In case anyone has been having trouble with version 2.0, just wanted to let you know that turning ON 24-hour time (and then turning it off again) fixes the bug where "Search Error" appears repeatedly. The 24-hour time setting is in Settings > General > Date & Time. And Brian was instrumental in finding this!

Ben

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Brilliant comment. This info has been publicly available online for years. Try googling for "flight tracking." :rolleyes:

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I really don't even need this app, but I'm buying it just to spite you.

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

It's irrelevant whether the information has been available or not, it's how convenient it is to access and how current the information is.

17. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Ow, I'm hurt. L.

18. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Um, as I already said, just google it. Entirely as convenient and real-time as the iPhone app (since it draws from exactly the same databases). Or is it just easier to make snap judgements?

Attached Files:

19. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You are saying getting this information via an iPhone over the cellular network anyplace and anywhere is just as convenient as using a browser over a wired/wireless connection? Right.

I guess if someone doesn't toe the line and agree with you and the other spiteful buyer than they're wrong. Talk about snap judgements.

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Funny, I was getting the same info from websites on my iPhone as well (mobile Safari, remember?) since July of last year. You don't need an app to do it. You don't even need an iPhone (Blackberry, WinMobile, etc.). Every airline has real-time mobile flight tracking on their website, none of which requiring a traditional Ethernet connection.

Oh, FTR, this is one of five iPhone apps that do the same basic task.

So, if you believe that this particular app is somehow enabling terrorists in a way they haven't previously or as readily had available for over a decade, you've been severely under-informed.

The operative phrase here is "going off half-cocked."

21. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You have your opinion, and I have mine. Our opinions almost match. I think people who don't see the difference are "half" something too.

22. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I don't really see how this would benefit a terrorist anyways.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Achmed: But Osama, I would shoot this missile at the plane, but I can't conveniently get the flight tracking information.
    Osama: What do you mean?
    Achmed: Well, I have to get my big 'ol laptop out, wait for it to wake from sleep mode, try to find an open WiFi hotspot, google a website where I can get the information, and then finally, once I have it, I can launch that missile. But having to do all that is just a huge pain in the ass.
    Osama: You're right, sounds like a hassle. We'll postpone the attack until an iPhone app comes out!

You know, if inconvenience was enough to stop a terrorist, we wouldn't even need airport security. Just throw a screaming baby on each flight and that will keep them away :rolleyes:

24. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

25. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

$5 is steep? Let's see what else you could buy for $5.

-5 McChickens
    -A plain white t-shirt
    -A cheap paperback book
    -Some batteries

I don't know if you live in the same world I live in, but you cannot buy anything for $5 anymore, yet people talk about $5-$10 applications like they are expensive.