Flimsy power connector

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Has anyone broke the very flimsy power connector on their iPad yet? For a $700 device, the connector on the iPad 2 is the flimsiest design I've ever seen. Fitting a connector on that small bevel is another example of design over function and it seems just a matter of time before it gets snapped off.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Has anyone broke the very flimsy power connector on their iPad yet? For a $700 device, the connector on the iPad 2 is the flimsiest design I've ever seen. Fitting a connector on that small bevel is another example of design over function and it seems just a matter of time before it gets snapped off.
I actually agree with you. I don't like the feeling of the connector sticking out of the beveled edge.

Comment

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Are you referring to the USB cable or the pins on the iPad itself? My USB cable has already become frayed near the dock connector end, and I know this was a defect on old iPhone cables as well (my 3GS USB cable frayed in a matter of 3 months).

Comment

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Are you referring to the USB cable or the pins on the iPad itself? My USB cable has already become frayed near the dock connector end, and I know this was a defect on old iPhone cables as well (my 3GS USB cable frayed in a matter of 3 months).
I think he's talking about the white rectangle that sticks out of the ipad when it's plugged in. It indeed feels flimsy and I worry about breaking it off in the iPad should something stupid happen to my device.

Comment

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I think he's talking about the white rectangle that sticks out of the ipad when it's plugged in. It indeed feels flimsy and I worry about breaking it off in the iPad should something stupid happen to my device.
This is what's happened to mine already (about 3 months of use and no accidents at all), and I'd say it's probably the precursor to breaking off down the road:
Photo on 2011-07-19 at 11.57.jpg

Comment

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
That looks really bad. I'd def. bring it to the Apple store. They'd prob switch it out on the spot.

Comment

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
That looks really bad. I'd def. bring it to the Apple store. They'd prob switch it out on the spot.
Yeah, they replaced my 3gs cord 2 years ago without trouble. But I think I know what you're talking about now: the actual steel pin breaking off in the iPad right? I think that if something could do that, it would also probably damage the iPad a lot too. My bet is that the cord would just snap where mine is fraying otherwise. :/

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Yes, that picture shows what just happened to mine as well, though in my case it's been well over a year of use before it happened.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.