Flimsy power connector

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BlindMellon, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Has anyone broke the very flimsy power connector on their iPad yet? For a $700 device, the connector on the iPad 2 is the flimsiest design I've ever seen. Fitting a connector on that small bevel is another example of design over function and it seems just a matter of time before it gets snapped off.

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

3. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I actually agree with you. I don't like the feeling of the connector sticking out of the beveled edge.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Are you referring to the USB cable or the pins on the iPad itself? My USB cable has already become frayed near the dock connector end, and I know this was a defect on old iPhone cables as well (my 3GS USB cable frayed in a matter of 3 months).

5. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I think he's talking about the white rectangle that sticks out of the ipad when it's plugged in. It indeed feels flimsy and I worry about breaking it off in the iPad should something stupid happen to my device.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This is what's happened to mine already (about 3 months of use and no accidents at all), and I'd say it's probably the precursor to breaking off down the road:
    Photo on 2011-07-19 at 11.57.jpg

7. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

That looks really bad. I'd def. bring it to the Apple store. They'd prob switch it out on the spot.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah, they replaced my 3gs cord 2 years ago without trouble. But I think I know what you're talking about now: the actual steel pin breaking off in the iPad right? I think that if something could do that, it would also probably damage the iPad a lot too. My bet is that the cord would just snap where mine is fraying otherwise. :/

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Yes, that picture shows what just happened to mine as well, though in my case it's been well over a year of use before it happened.