Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TouchArcade points out that TenOneDesign has posted new miniaturized versions of the Fling joysticks designed for the iPhone and iPod Touch. We covered the original version made for the iPad back in January and even tried them out at CES. The springy controllers work surprisingly well for any joystick or dual-stick controller games such as Geometry Wars. From an earlier review:
The Fling is a cleverly designed device with two suction cups on one side connected to a plastic ring. Inside of the plastic ring is a spiral that suspends an electrically conductive joystick in the center. This spiral works like a spring, always returning the joystick to the center, and providing more resistance the closer you get to the edge of the plastic ring.
A pack of two costs $24.95 and start shipping in July.

Here's a photo of the original iPad versions:

Article Link: Fling Mini Joysticks Now for iPhone and iPod Touch

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
Cool idea for the iPad, not so cool for these smaller devices. Even though it's see through it still kinda gets in the way of playing games I think.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Two things:

#1 - The usage of the word "mini" should be replaced by "kind of covering the entire iPhone screen with joysticks".

#2 - Those are some huge nipples.

DJKEWU

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
R u kidding me? I have the Fling for my iPad & I love it but on my iPhone 4? No freakin way! T

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I'd rather use an iControlpad. And game developers should be working on adding iControlPad/iCade support, too.

And if you ask me, an iPod touch + iControlPad looks more portable than an iPod touch + Fling Mini, since the iControlPad has a lower profile.

As a bonus, the iControlPad can be used with anything that's wireless HID compatible.

Mimpd123

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The best solution for game controlling that I see is:
1) apple to create an API for game controllers(not sure if it exists or not)
2) someone to, then, create a case that incorporates psp style controls.
My ideal game controller case would also incorporate a bigger battery and induction charging, but that may be a little greedy on my part:)

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Props.

Dead Space 2 and RAGE on the iPad are impressive, but maneuvering can sometimes be a headache (not to mention handache). Something like this could alleviate one of the few gripes I have about gaming on iOS devices.

Props to those that came up with a solution. These will sell like hot cakes.

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1. great idea
2. too small for iPhone/Touch (maybe have smaller ones available for those)
3. wish they were integrated in a clip on case so they were more secure then just the suction cups

Mimpd123

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Yvan256 said:

Looks more gameboy-ish. I was thinking psp style where the controls are mostly to the outer ends, not below the screen.
But, I guess that's a start. Hopefully a standard API is made fore something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.