Flip Camcorder For Imac 27?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newbiemacgal, Feb 28, 2010.

1. newbiemacgal macrumors member

Hello,

I really want to start doing videos for my website and try my hand at various contests. Is the Flip Videocamera a cheap investment or waste of money?

If the latter, please recommend videocameras compatible with imovie up to $500. Honestly, I don't want to spend that much but will if needed.

I appreciate your help!;)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What kind of videos do you wanna make?

Have you used MRoogle yet to look for many similar threads?

3. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

The Flip UltraHD is a fantastic $200 camcorder that works very well with iMovie 09. It imports automatically and the video quality way surpasses its price tag. You can get it on Amazon for like $160.00 and if you dont like it Amazon has a great return policy.

4. newbiemacgal thread starter macrumors member

5. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

I would say most who have had a chance to compare the Kodak Zi8 against the Flip UltraHD, rate the former more highly. The Zi8 has an input for an external microphone, which I think is worth mentioning.

Lots of comparisons online which show footage of both side by side.

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

The Flip is a great tool, but one has to temper one's expectations. It's real value is in its size and extreme ease of use. The video quality is very good, but bear in mind that there is no (usable) zoom.

I have both a Flip Mino HD and an Ultra HD. IMHO, the extra hour of video and HDMI port isn't really worth the increase in size and I find myself mostly using the Mino HD.

8. newbiemacgal thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate the feedback! I want something that if I choose to do a documentary I can do so. Not sure that is realistc for a videocam under $600.:confused: