Flip for Mac/QT issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigboy99, Apr 20, 2007.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Flip for Mac was working okay until recently when it started opening audio only windows in QT. No video window ever appears. I've reinstalled it, but no improvement. The source links are from CNN.com

I've tried VLC, but can't get it to work, either.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That suggests that the content you're trying to view doesn't contain any video. Does it work properly with sources known to contain video?

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

These are the video news reports at cnn.com. Perhaps the problem is as you allude - no content. The javascript url indicates it's video, but QT doesn't see it. Nothing plays when it opens the small audio-style window.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's very strange. Do other WMV video sites work correctly? If they do, the problem is most likely the video format, as Flip4Mac can't handle WMV10 or WMV11 content.

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

i know this flip4mac has major issues trying to open videos from cnn

6. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's possible that CNN has changed their content to a newer WMP code. I never had a problem until last week.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is important to be specific about which videos are giving you trouble. CCN.com's live video streams use a web viewer which seems to work OK. Being live, however, it may take a long time to display its streams. It also has recorded video, which are in WMV format. Their audio comes through OK, but without video. This indicates that the video may be in WMV10 or WMV11 which nothing on the Mac can handle.

8. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

The WMV 10/11 was what I was refering to above. These all seem to be recorded video.