Flip Mino HD > FCE > Vimeo

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by curtoneil, Jan 11, 2010.

1. curtoneil macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I seem to be hitting a snag in my workflow for this and I think I'm missing one small step somewhere along the way and having someone else look at it might help me out.

I just received a Flip Mino HD for Christmas and have shot some small video with it - mainly right now working on a live recording of a band that I was shooting photography for. Just to basically test the little cam out (and possibly compare it to my very rough/lame 5DII footage I attempted earlier last year).

Anyway I get the .mp4 out of the Flip and onto my MBP. It is approximately 430MB at this time and the video is about 5:45 minutes long - I didn't cut anything out of the video so it will stay that length throughout the entire process.

I bring it into MPEG Streamclip so that I can edit it in FCE in real time with no rendering needed. In MPEG Streamclip I export it as a Quicktime .mov with 100% quality in AIC. Resulting file size is: 1.7GB - makes some sense to me as it is now uncompressed.

In FCE I do the Easy Setup with the settings as AIC, 29.97, HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 720p30

Import my .mov file, slide it to the timeline and I'm able to edit in real time. The only edits I did was desaturate the video into a B/W and then add a minor sepia tone to it (10% opacity) so that it has more of a brown tinge to it then just the B/W. From there I added a small 6 sec title sequence from LiveType and a small approx 3 sec out with my URL at the end (these were superimposed over the video so no time added to it). I exported this from FCE as a Quicktime .mov and new file size is: 1.4GB

Clearly that is way too large to upload to Vimeo and I need to compress it - especially considering that the video is no more than 5:45 mins.

So I tried opening the video in HandBrake and HandBrake is not recognizing it so I am unable to compress it. This is where I'm stumped.

Have I done something wrong in my first steps so that HandBrake cannot recognize the file?

Currently as I'm typing this out I'm now running the file through MPEG Streamclip again to make it into an .mp4 and then going to try to see if I can open that up in HandBrake - just seems like a wasted process at the moment though.

Any ideas?

2. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i bought a HD mino for the wife also. we love it and have been taking a TON of video. it imports into iTunes fine, but i am not able to stream it to the apple TV, even though all other video and pictures will steam flawlessly.

any ideas what i am doing wrong here?

sorry to the OP, don't mean to take your thread off topic.

oh, i also have run it through toast and converted to make it compatible with ATV to see if that would help. still a no go. opens fine in itunes and looks great in HD on the iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro. just can not get it to play/stream to the ATV.

driving me crazy as i want to see our videos on the 73" 1080p Sammy in the living room!

if anyone has any answers i would really appreciate it!

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

That's where you are going wrong. You need to either do File > Export > Using QuickTime Conversion, or File > Export > QuickTime Movie, then run that through MPEG Streamclip. (Don't check the "Make Movie Self-contained" box)

You either compressed with a poor choice of codec, or just had it spit out another AIC file (which isn't technically uncompressed, fyi). I don't have too much experience configuring MPEG Streamclip, so I think I'll leave the settings there for somebody else, but if you use QuickTime Conversion, select H.264 as your codec and set it up according to Vimeo's guidelines

Oh, and Handbrake doesnt understand AIC, hence why it doesn't work over there.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

Plug it in...let iPhoto pull the clips, go into iMovie 9 and add the clips to the time line (they are under the iPhoto Movies folder)...Share your edited/finished clip with AppleTV in the Share pulldown menu. Depending on how you connect your ATV, you may need to sync it to get the video file to show up.

I do this all the time...from import to viewing without any significant editing...usually takes about 7-10 minutes for a 1-3 minute clip...15-20 for something a bit lengthier due to the encoding.

AppleTV cannot play the native Flip video, but the iLife suite of software makes it a relatively painless process to share this video with ATV from iPhoto through iMovie. :)

5. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

I didn't even think about iMovie... DOH!

Thanks!