Flip Mino HD/Final Cut Problems

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DCAbrams, Jan 28, 2009.

1. DCAbrams macrumors newbie

I've been having some issues with video I shot with a Flip Mino HD in Final Cut Pro.

Whenever I have two clips in my timeline (shot on the Flip), and try to add a transition in between them, I keep getting a 'Dropped Frames' warning.

Has anyone with a Flip HD run into this problem? Aside from having to convert every video I shoot from MP4 to .MOV in Quicktime, is there something I can do in FCP to remedy the situation?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Specifically what codec and frame size are you converting the videos into and do you still get dropped frame warnings after you've rendered the transition?

Lethal

3. DCAbrams thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not converting the videos at all; they come off the player as an MP4 file, and are 1280 x 720.

I get the dropped frames whether I render or not....

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

In your previous post you said you converted the files from MP4 to MOV in QuickTime. What did you mean by that?

Lethal

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

MPEG-4 is not an editing codec... you should be converting all of the footage before editing. you can easily do everything in large batches within Compressor.

you can't apply transitions because FCP doesn't want to work with MPEG-4 and won't play back effects that have been added without rendering to the sequence codec first.

6. DCAbrams thread starter macrumors newbie

No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I said aside from having to convert everything, I wanted to know if there was some other known solution...

@ bigbossbmb: I will try that, thank you.

7. DCAbrams thread starter macrumors newbie

No dice, still having this issue.

Can anyone suggest the right way to turn all of my timeline settings as low as possible, but still be able to output at full quality? At this point I just want to be able to edit SOMEthing...

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What did you convert the MP4s into and what are your sequence settings? If your sequence settings and your footage don't match exactly (codec, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc.,) you'll have problems.

Lethal