Flip Ultra HD and iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mc-hokie, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mc-hokie macrumors newbie

I haven't pulled the trigger yet for an iPad, but I'm close. It would be great to leave the MBP home on vacation as the iPad would do everything I need with possibly one exception.

On a recent vacation to Disney World, I filled up the Flip HD with 8GB of video each day. It was easy to dump to the MBP and recharge, ready for the next day. The iPad wouldn't fill this need, even if the Flip could connect via the camera connector (I'm not sure that it could).

Is there a solution? I've heard about a hard drive that could connect to a camera and pull the photos/videos off, but I can't find anything about that despite many search attempts. If so, then I could free up the Flip each day, although I'd have to wait until I return home to view/edit the video. If not, then my dependence on the laptop for using the Flip minimizes my need for an iPad.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I believe what you are looking for is a "USB OTG Bridge" device. Google that and see what comes up.

3. mc-hokie thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a hard drive that does this on it's own without the need for the bridge device?

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It might be cheaper to just buy multiple SD cards? How much is a 32GB SD card?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Flip UltraHD doesn't take SD cards, the storage is internal and non-expandable.

There is no evidence as yet that the iPad won't be able to import footage from the UltraHD. The fact that it supports 35Mbps motion-jpeg video suggests it may also be able to cope with the 9Mbps h.264 video from the Flip.

It all depends on transfer protocol I assume, anybody know anything about how that works?

6. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

true, that's why the ipad is not meant to replace laptops.
    I also have the Flip and on trips i bring my MacBook Air...

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I googled "otg portable hard drive" and got a lot of hits.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It'll replace my laptop on trips seeing as the camera connector and Photos app supports RAW - that's awesome news.

The video will just stay on my Flip but being able to dump the contents of my card onto the iPad means no longer having to lug my laptop with me on trips.

9. Modacke macrumors member

Modacke

Well there is the USB Adapter for the iPad, you might want to check it out. It's on apple.com under iPad accessories

10. M87 macrumors 65816

I, too, took a Flip Ultra HD to Disney World and offloaded it every night to my MBP. In fact, I will be doing it again next month (and I'll have my iPad too by then), so I was wondering the same thing about transferring to the iPad. Why wouldn't the USB camera adapter work? The flip is a camera, it has usb and the video seems to be an apple friendly format (h.264, AAC). We'll see...

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I used my Flip Ultra at Disney last week and it worked great dumping off my videos every night. Hope it works with iPad too...

12. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

My nas has got this feature and qnap call it 'one touch copy'.

You basially decide where you want your one touch copy to go, then when a USB is plugged in and that button pressed it copies to where you told it too, light flashes while in process and stops when done.

Sure there must me some protable device with this option on?

13. mc-hokie thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have been more specific regarding my concern...

I do expect that the Flip will connect via camera connector, but I am more concerned about storage. The HD video will fill the iPad in a week vacation.

14. PlayHard macrumors member

How about putting it on the iPad and then uploading it to somewhere like MobileMe if you have that or Google docs? I know GDocs has a low limit (for videos) but it's really cheap to upgrade. I'm not saying it would be fast but possible. Then delete it off the iPad?

15. brentmid macrumors newbie

Flip Mino HD video playable on iPad natively

I was able to play videos from my Flip Mino HD without any conversion on my iPad by sending them to the iPad via GoodReader or Dropbox. The videos played in those two applications just fine.

So why can't I play them in Apple's "Videos" application?

Ultimately I'd like to send them to ReelDirector for editing on the iPad, but that won't work either.

So my question is - if GoodReader and Dropbox can play them, why can't Videos or ReelDirector?

See my blog post for a little more info:
    http://www.midwood.net/blog/?p=1299

16. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I didn't realize GR would actually play the videos if they were imported by it. Weird. I too bought ReelDirector with the idea to use it for Flip videos. Disappointing, to say the least.

You can also import Flip videos directly into the Ipad with the camera connection kit. It'll balk one time, telling you it can't connect, so you unplug it, then plug it back in, and then somehow it miraculously sees all the videos and you can import. Of course, you still can't do *anything* with them until you're back at a computer, but it is a handy storage place for them.

I'm at the point where I'm hoping the Iphone 4's video is of equal quality and I can simply sell off my Flip and not worry about this anymore (and I'm betting that's what Apple was hoping, too!)

17. Star56 macrumors member

One of my primary uses for the ipad is to watch Flip HD video. They look incredible on the ipad. I use Xillisoft ipad converter to convert them.

18. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

What sort of error does iTunes give you when you try to sync?

Officially the iPad supports up to 3.1 Main Profile video. However I was able to get some 3.2 profile video playing by sending it to Goodreader. What profile video does the Flip produce? MediaInfo should be able to tell you.

19. CityMouseBC macrumors newbie

Question for Malnar

I just got the Flip UltraHD today, and I was trying to use my iPad camera connection kit with it. I kept getting an error message. I found your post, and I tried unplugging and re-plugging, but it's not working. Can you tell me how you got it to work, please? I saw a work-around on another thread, but it involved buying a powered USB hub, and I could do without that.

Thanks!

20. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

As others have mentioned, Dropbox is your answer. You get 2GB for free. It works great with the iPad.

PLUS, you can share directly from drop box, and you get the benefit of having it backed up for you, so you won't lose any memories.