Flip ultra hd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by axeldtf, Apr 16, 2011.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I really like the camera on my iphone 4. The quality is decent enough for me but i'm looking for an alternative to it since it kills the battery and lack the storage space. How comparable is the flip ultra hd? Is there any other camera close to the quality of the iphone 4?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just so you know Flip as a company was recently killed by Cisco.
    [​IMG]

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Which means buy one soon!

I don't have an iPhone, but I have read that the Flip's quality isn't as good. However I bought one and use it to record my lectures. 60-90 minutes long and indoor lighting. It works fine and my writing on the white board comes out clear.

What is nice about it is that it is trivially easy to use (in my case I even screw it on to a small tripod) and extracting the videos and recharging are easy as well. It's a camera I don't have to think about, which is great for my application.

I hate to see them go as I know that any replacement camera will cost me much more. I might actually run out and buy another as a "spare".

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

5. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the advice. It's a shame about the flip. I may be leaning towards Kodak.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Hey, just came across this thread looking for similar cameras to the Flip, or any recommendations to just grab a Flip while I can. Anyone else want to weigh in on similar camcorders?

I saw that CompUSA has the JVC GC-FM2B for $79, which sounds like a really good deal, but I don't know much about it. It records in MP4, which is nice for loading onto an iPod without any extra steps, but I saw some complaints about battery life in HD mode.

jW

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Well the 30 minute battery life wouldn't do for me, especially without the option to have extra battery packs. I'm considering buying a spare Flip while I still can.