Flip Video / Mac Software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tommoran, Sep 11, 2009.

1. tommoran macrumors member

I have a Flip Video Mino HD (yes I shouda waited, OK) and am wondering which software I should use for the videos.

It comes with its own software, but I prefer to stick to Apple software whenever possible.

When I put the camera in the USB the iFlip software opens.

If I were Steve Jobs on budget, which software would I use? WOuld be interested also in any good shareware or Mac user friendly 3rd party commercial software.

Many thanks.

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I have a Flip and used it for a very short time. I discovered that Premiere wouldn't use the Flip files natively. iMovie does handle Flip video just fine though.

3. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Open the Flip software and go to preferences. Uncheck the box that say "open Flip software automatically," and that will stop it from opening.
    If you want to use Apple software, iPhoto can handle organizing these videos as your flip is treated like a still camera with movie mode. Then, when you open iMovie it can see all of the movies you have in iPhoto. That's your best total mac solution.

4. TheFuzz macrumors regular

Drag flip files to computer. Open in Compressor and convert them to quicktimes using the ProRes422 codec. Then edit in FCP.

or

Drag files to computer. Open in Quicktime Pro and convert to quicktimes using PhotoJPG codec. Then edit in Premiere.

No way would I leave them as H264.

my last video using the flip: http://vimeo.com/6004313