Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nelly22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Are these still needed in Yosemite and are there any other similar things i should download?

DivX
Flip4Mac
Perian

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Forget ever being able to play videos with Quick Look or Quicktime ever again, and switch to VLC or MPlayerX.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Perian 1.2.3 and Flip 2.4.4.2 still work for me in Yosemite. VLC isn't a solution for me as the codecs are "self-contained" and I therefore can't open WMV files in video-editing apps. One of these days I'll get rid of the last of my WMVs, but in the meantime I can still work with them.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I also wish Perian would make a comeback. I use VLC when I absolutely need it, but the design is so outdated. It could really use a makeover.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
nowadays most video files are already in mp4 so no real need for WMV or DIVX... at least in my own experience.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
QLVideo, and a question about MPlayerX, VLC and Safari

For the Thumbnails in Finder this Plugin works very well: https://github.com/Marginal/QLVideo/releases/tag/rel-173

Thanks!

Installed on Mavericks. I guess that it'll be necessary to log out before it can take effect.

(The first .rm movie that I checked still has the look of an archive – a hangover from inappropriate association with 'The Unarchiver.app'. I corrected the association but the icon has not yet changed to the icon of a RealPlayer file.)

Yeah, I changed all my file associations to VLC and use MPlayerX on things that VLC doesn't handle so well. …

Am I right to assume that neither MPlayerX nor VLC allows compatible content to be handled within Safari?

(They're great standalone applications, but I prefer the more integrated approach wherever possible.)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Recent development of Perian – MaddTheSane

Agreed. I wonder why it's not?

Ah, but it is. Please follow the link from my earlier post.

There's development on GitHub with the most recent commit two days ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.