Flip4Mac WMV: watermark and audio SPAM in exported *.mp4 - which Alternative?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Quotenfrau, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Hi

I wish to convert a *.wmv to *.mp4 with MPEG Streamclip (only a few pieces of the movie). Bud sadly the exported file is watermarked and contains audio SPAM.

I don't wish to buy or crack Flip4Mac. What alternatives?

[​IMG]

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

AFAIK, there are pretty much none. Flip4Mac is the only WMV codec out there.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Pay the proper fee for Flip4Mac. If you do, then Bob's your uncle.

4. Quotenfrau, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012

Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

that's a rip-off

23.26 EUR is too expensive for exporting non commercial movies

not available in Mac App Store

[​IMG]

Code:
    Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro — 23.26 EUR
    Features

Play Windows Media directly in QuickTime Player, QuickTime based applications and Safari.
    Import Windows Media for editing directly in iMovie or convert Windows Media to editing formats such as AIC or ProRes via Compressor.
    Import Windows Media for conversion in applications like QuickTime 7 Pro, Compressor and Episode.
    Supports
    Playback and import of Windows Media Video 7, 8 and 9 Standard.
    Playback and import of Windows Media Audio 7, 8 and 9 Standard, Professional and Lossless.
    Local files, HTTP and MMS streaming protocols.
    Requires
    Intel or PowerPC G4 & G5
    Mac OS X 10.5 and later
    QuickTime 7 Pro, Compressor or Episode recommended for advanced conversion options

----------

I don't understand. What do you mean?

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Do you know how much you have to fork out for codecs normally? Flip4Mac is dirt cheap!

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I haven't yet figured out if MPEG Streamclip / Compressor watermark wmv conversions ONLY if you also have the free Flip4Mac prefpane installed... can anyone verify if removing Flip4Mac also allows you to convert videos using above programs without the watermark? I went ahead and purchased it the other day for $29 to avoid the nuisance. There is a solution... Handbrake will convert these files WITHOUT the watermark.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Read and be wise.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you don't have F4M installed, you can't convert WMV files. If you don't buy it, there is a watermark.

9. floh macrumors 6502

If you want to do this with MPEG Streamclip, there is no real alternative to Flip4Mac to my knowledge. My advice would be: Convert the whole movie with another tool first, then cut it with MPEG Streamclip or iMovie or any tool of your choice. This will get rid of the watermark, but you will temporarily need some more diskspace (I don't know how huge your original file is...).

For the conversion: If you want something really comfortable, you will have to pay. And Flip4Mac is actually not that pricy...
    But you said you wanted free alternatives, and the only one known to me is ffmpeg, for more comfort with a GUI: ffmpegX

This will allow you to convert from and to .wmv containers. I don't have experience with the GUI version, but the command line tool is very powerful and will even allow you to copy the stream without any compression and just change the container to .mov or whatever you want. This means it will be really fast and you won't have any quality loss. In the command line, the options would be:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i infile.wmv -acodec copy -vcodec copy outfile.mov
    Maybe you can reproduce that line in ffmpegX or try to find the according options?

Hope that helps.