Flip4Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sgt.Pepper, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Sgt.Pepper macrumors member

Is flip for mac a separate player, or just a codec that allows WMV video files to be played in quicktime?
    Also if I get the Perian codec is Flip4Mac still needed, does or doesn't Perian play the same video files the Flip4Mac addresses.

Also was are DivX files? When are they used generally?

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Flip4Mac is just a plugin for quicktime essentially. I personally don't really like quicktime that much, never have.

I believe you still need Flip4Mac because Perian doesn't cover Windows Media files. What I can say is that the best all around video player for Mac in my experience is VLC, though Perian seems to add a lot of the same functionality of VLC to Quicktime, I think that VLC is the better program.
    www.videolan.org

As far as DivX goes, it's basically a way that certain AVI files are encoded. So DivX is a codec. VLC will play DivX as will Perian.

3. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

With the perian codec in system prefernences Do I set Audio Output to Stereo? Dolby Pro Logic? Dolby Pro Logic 2? Multi Channel Output? When would I use those different settings?

Also If I have the Perian Codec and Flip4Mac for quicktime playing, or if I have VLC, do I need Real Player?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I have Perian set to default, probably only affects you if you have the proper speakers and if you are watching something that can utilize the related sound codecs.

I would suggest never downloading RealPlayer ever for any reason whatsoever because they have horrible software and hardly anyone uses their stupid proprietary format anymore.

5. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    I'll just leave the sound settings on Perian as the the default.

And as far as Real Player goes, I'll pass on it.

6. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Yeah, and to add, use the "play soft sounds = normally". It relates to a surround sound audio, example ac3 soundtracks(needs more volume from user, because it has wider dynamic range). Nevertheless Its best to leave it "normal", because otherwise perian codec tries to make it louder dynamicly, which results bad "bumping" of the sound levels during quiet sounds during a movie.

In other words, its a dynamic compression, which, in most cases is never good if you want to hear your movie sounds "right". Dynamic sound compression is evil m'kay? :cool: