Flipboard: Am I doing it wrong?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shamash, Aug 17, 2012.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I recently saw a ton of people post how much they love flipboard, so I decided to give it another go, and added the things I wanted to see to my flipboard account.

I just don't get how I'm supposed to read it? I thought flipboard would aggregate and mix everything together, but it's only letting me read 1 thing at a time (I can read WSJ or Men's Health stuff, but I want to see all my flipboard stuff together, ya dig?)

Does flipboard not actually do this? Am I just doing it wrong?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I love Flipboard. It's supposed to work by aggregating the stuff you choose, then you tap into one of those categories, and should see the aggregate of that topic and you flip through the pages of them until you see an article you want to read and then tap it. Then you read the article and flip through the pages. In the upper left is the Flipboard button to bring you back up to the top level.

3. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

So it doesn't aggregate all my topics together? That's what I was hoping for. If I wanted to read WSJ I could just do it through their app, but I wanted Flipboard so I could have all the things I wanted to read combined. Darn haha

4. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

I guess their top stories section aggregate the top stories from all the different feeds you have.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

It's for reading all the things separately, but the iPhone version has a feature called Cover Stories which aggregates the most popular things on your feed into a few pages.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The best way is to follow what you want to read on Tweeter and read the Tweeter feed. This way you get all the stuff you want aggregated and none that you don't.;)

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Put all your feeds into a Google Reader account and then link that account into Flipboard. That should do what you're looking for.

8. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

My top stories section is pretty wimpy. Oh well, it's still a neat app. Not super retina-ready, though :(

9. cvaldes macrumors 68040

This is correct.

If you want to turn Flipboard into a generic RSS news aggregator, that's the way to do it.

10. PaulyD macrumors 6502

In regards to OP. You need to click on Cover stories. This aggregates everything for me into one feed (facebook, twitter, instagram and news sources).

I personally find myself using each one individually though to avoid missing out stories i might find interesting

11. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Is anyone using Flipboard to aggregate feeds from Google Reader?

I have it set up like that, but there seems to be no way to customize what folders I want from Google Reader to be aggregated. I have a few feeds that simply give the latest coupons and deals, but I get TONS of them, so there's a lot of flipping to get to the actual news items I want to read. Apparently though it's an all or nothing deal. :p

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Your best option might be Reeder.

13. Run4TheCup macrumors newbie

You should checkout Skim.Me as another option

14. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Looking into that, thanks for the intel!

15. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I use Flipboard for browsing and keeping up with social feeds using cover stories. I use Reeder for following the more niche blogs I subscribe to.

Works.

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Thanks, that's a nice tip, got to try it! Like Flipboard but would prefer this sort of idea to get a quicker overview of the news.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I also prefer Reeder for my news.

Flipboard I really enjoy when I want to flip through social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.

Reeder for my tech, car, local, and political feeds.

18. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

i was "flipping" through my flipboard today and i realized just how many ads they are putting on my pages now. anyone else notice this? it's getting irritating enough to delete the app. any recommendations?

19. Markdek macrumors member

I don't recall seeing any ads?...

----------

Yes, that is the aggregated portion.

20. batting1000 macrumors 604

False. I can hook my Google Reader account up to it and read an entire folder of MULTIPLE feeds at once.

21. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

Yeah that's Google Reader that has the whole collection of various sources, Flipboard isn't doing anything but reading what Google Reader has. If you had Google Reader and say The Verge…. You would have both a Google Reader and The Verge section. Flipboard isn't aggregating anything, except in the top stories it would mix some of The Verge stories with the Google Reader.

22. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Try Pulse if you want everything mixed together.

23. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Ads are just one flip away from being gone, are you going to look for alternatives just to save a second of your precious time?

24. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm with the OP. I've tried flipboard a couple of times, but I just don't like it. It seems too cumbersome having to add all the different sources, and navigating around through them. I have Pulse to keep track of all the specific sources that I want. It does this better IMO.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but Zite is AMAZING!! It is like a magazine news aggregator EXACTLY what the OP is wanting. You don't pick individual sources, but you pick topics of interest (sounds more logical that way doesn't it?). So you may choose things like apple, technology, politics, movies, etc. You could even choose your city to get localized news. You can have as few or as many (well maybe not, but I haven't reached the limit) interests as you like. Each interest is divided into a "section" that you can click on and get news specifically about that topic. Then you have a "top news" section which aggregates articles from all your interests into one area. You can swipe between like 8 pages or so, with each page showing about 5 articles.

The best thing of all is that you can "like" articles, or even specific tag words related to the article, and the app will show you more articles like that, or like the tag word, in the future. The app will continue to customize to your taste as you use it. It's so great! And best of all, its FREE!

25. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

absolutely. but it's more than one ad, most times now i see an ad every couple of stories. i'd rather have the ad sit side by side with the article. it's the same for me with websites that block content with an ad. if i can get the information somewhere else that's less intrusive, i'm going there. flipboard is/was just a nice interface, but it doesn't create content.