Flipboard Founder Claims Apple News is 'a Product Living in the Past'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's mobile news platform has been accused of "living in the past" by the co-founder and head of rival news curation service Flipboard. The comments were made at Tuesday's Code Media event in California, where Flipboard CEO Mike McCue participated in an onstage Q&A regarding the future of content curation in the digital mobile space.

Now in its eighth year, the Flipboard iOS app organizes online articles into a more conducive reading format for mobile devices, and reaches around 100 million users a month. Comparatively, major rival Apple News - which Apple began shipping with iOS 9 - has at least 70 million monthly users.

[​IMG]

"When you're an entrepreneur and you're competing with Apple, that's a pretty big deal," said McCue. "They're a partner and a competitor at the same time." McCue then went on to criticize Apple's mobile news platform for its lack of human curation.
    McCue also picked holes in Apple's walled garden approach to online content, comparing Flipboard's ad-friendly platform to Apple News's "closed ecosystem", which McCue called "a big deal for publishers". The suggestion here is that Flipboard benefits publishers by regularly redirecting readers to the publisher's site, where more ads are shown, whereas Apple News keeps users within the app's native display format with its attendant ad restrictions.

Despite the latter approach, Apple News does offer a built-in advertising platform that allows publishers to earn 100 percent of the revenue from the content they publish, or 70 percent of revenue from iAds inventory sold by Apple. The Apple News Format also lets publishers create custom editorial layouts geared towards their individual brands, allowing content to be viewed by millions of iPhone and iPad users in the way the publishers intended.

Article Link: Flipboard Founder Claims Apple News is 'a Product Living in the Past'

2. klunernet macrumors newbie

klunernet

3. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

I have to agree with this, it really feels like a news app from 2010

4. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

next months news article - Apple copies flipboard and then bans their app from the store.

5. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

6. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

7. LittleChief macrumors newbie

LittleChief

I'd say they're absolutely right on this one. Apple are using a dated, old media approach and as mentioned locking publishers in to a native platform experience without the control and monetisation required to keep their business (& good journalism) afloat.

Apple need to get better at this stuff if they want to compete, same goes for Spotify support on HomePod. If 9 out of 10 products make it easy to use a raft of services including Spotify on their devices and you are the odd one out then it's going to cause some friction and is ultimately a poor user experience.

Again, same thing happened with Apple TV for far too long. The UK have 4 or 5 major channels and they were all absent from the platform for years (up until late 2017) and that allowed Fire TV, Chromecast and all these other 'Smart' products to get a substantial foot up.

If you're going to launch a product like HomePod, ATV or Apple News you have to have strong support on the back end from developers, publishers and content creators (with the options to monetise their work) otherwise you're going to face a serious uphill battle.

8. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

I actually really like Apple News, mainly for the way it runs though. Whoever’s behind it needs to take over the whole OS.

9. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

I guess for people outside the US, UK or Australia it’s rather a product of the future that’s still waiting for its rollout.

10. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Number of times I checked Apple News today, 3.

Number of times I checked Flipboard today, 0.

11. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

I used to love Flipboard when they first launched but they changed and a few updates later really didn't like it. And haven't used it or had it installed since.

Big fan of Apple News though, hope they bring it to the Mac.

The Spotlight tab is a curated section "From the Apple News Editors":
    https://www.apple.com/uk/news/

12. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

If u put flip board on your phone, that 0 would go up

13. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Wait a minute, are you telling me people actually use the terrible app and service that is known as Apple news? I don’t believe anyone would actually use it

14. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Flipboard sees almost no use these days and hasn't been updated in years. Those are strong words from someone in an even worse spot.

15. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

The stage! A medium firmly rooted in the past.... and still quite useful today.

Love the irony. :)

16. Farmerp2005 macrumors newbie

I just wish Apple news wouldn't be so slow on my iPad air. No idea why it is now running so slow, but think it's Ad related (2 sites in particular are horrendously slow).

Would like to see it on the mac as well. Maybe it will be one of these cross platform apps in the next OS release.

17. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Yeah, it’s almost like some people might have different opinions than you do.

18. Heineken macrumors 6502

Heineken

Flipboard was great 3 or 4 version ago. Current version is complete garbage and a ****ing maze.

19. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502

Scottsoapbox

How many of those 70 million people even realize they are using Apple News?

The power of the platform + non technical people with smartphones.

20. jarman92 macrumors 6502

They’ve literally never done that.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    Agreed. I used to use it all day every day until one of their updates; then I t was just filled with garbage blog posts and crazy fringe websites.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    ...is this sarcasm? I use it every single day, and most iPhone users I know personally and see around use it.

21. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I use Flipboard and Apple News. Once I can view Apple News on my MAC I will move on from Flipboard.

22. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Within the context of this article, this statement implies that this is because Apple News comparatively sucks.

What it fails to point out is that this difference in audience numbers is, in no small part, influenced by the fact that Apple News is not available in as many countries as Flipboard. So, it sort of seems like “cherry picking” stats to support Flipboard’s view. Also, this would suggest that Apple isn’t putting their full effort into actually competing with Flipboard, which begs the question, “Why is Flipboard going out of their way to denigrate Apple News?”

23. jedwards87 macrumors member

In the past or not I prefer Apple News over Flipboard which I have tried several times now. The only thing I miss with Apple News is not having a MacOS version. Don't care about a social aspect or lack of. I want to read the news and then share it, which Apple News does just fine, if I feel like it. But good to have choices.

24. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I tried Apple News but didn't like it and reverted back to Flipboard.

Clipboard has a bunch of ads and double posts or stories that do not even closely align with the category but I still use it...just not as much and mores than AppleNews