Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
I like it and was ready to pledge but found out it does not (yet) have magnets for the instant on function. Trying to decide now but I doubt any other case would come close to the possible angles this one promises.

NewPencil

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Questions and answers

Ugly? I Can't do much about that now! :)

I will say this, "Every shape in the design serves a specific function and they serve well.". Never to little, not to much. Pretty utililitarian if you ask me.. The beauty is in the soul of this one. I actually love the way it looks now that I know it. :)

Unprotective? I feel like I'm competing with the smart cover here. Who has more protection?

On/off magnet? The pro version of the case does have an on off magnet. There is also a magnet free version of the case called the grip.

I would be happy to answer any other questions. :)

Isaiah Coberly
NewPencil
Inventor of the FlipSteady

Last edited:

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I agree. It's ugly. That said, I think it's also probably the most functional case I've ever seen. It's brilliant. I think the price point is a bit higher than I'd expect to pay considering the looks of the material and construction. Awesome idea though. I could see a lot of people really getting some use out of a case like this. My wife, who rarely takes her iPad out of the house & could care les about physical protection would love this just for the versatility.

NewPencil

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Materials

We chose the finest Materials available to make the FlipSteady. .04" thick aluminum stiffeners are precisely laminated between a layer of Toray Ultrasuede soft fabric and Majilite Marine grade upholstery fabric. Both Fabrics have a wonderfully light hand and are durable enough to last Years and Years to come.*The FlipSteady actually becomes better with age!*

Ultrasuede is the Exact same fabric used on the smart cover, luxury yachts and super high quality garments. 1 of a kind microfiber that's soft to touch, will never Frey and cleans the screen.

Majilite is also used on yachts and luxury sports cars. It has a patented nylon microfiber backing that is also one of a kind and will never Frey. The particular majilite we use passed 100,000 double rubs Using the wyzenbeek method.. That means its strong.

Most cases are made from far lesser quality materials than the FlipSteady and they are made for a few dollars each in china.. Those cases are Still $60 at retail.. The FlipSteady will be made in America. All of this makes me feel great about the quality and price.

It may look Hand made. That's because it currently is. :)

Isaiah Coberly
NewPencil Inc.
inventor.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
We chose the finest Materials available to make the FlipSteady. .04" thick aluminum stiffeners are precisely laminated between a layer of Toray Ultrasuede soft fabric and Majilite Marine grade upholstery fabric. Both Fabrics have a wonderfully light hand and are durable enough to last Years and Years to come.*The FlipSteady actually becomes better with age!*

Ultrasuede is the Exact same fabric used on the smart cover, luxury yachts and super high quality garments. 1 of a kind microfiber that's soft to touch, will never Frey and cleans the screen.

Majilite is also used on yachts and luxury sports cars. It has a patented nylon microfiber backing that is also one of a kind and will never Frey. The particular majilite we use passed 100,000 double rubs Using the wyzenbeek method.. That means its strong.

Most cases are made from far lesser quality materials than the FlipSteady and they are made for a few dollars each in china.. Those cases are Still $60 at retail.. The FlipSteady will be made in America. All of this makes me feel great about the quality and price.

It may look Hand made. That's because it currently is. :)

Isaiah Coberly
NewPencil Inc.
inventor.

I agree that the front cover looks great. It is the bezel cover and the back that looks bad. (IMHO). I think it the best designed case I have ever seen for any product. I love the idea. I just can't get past the back case. If it covered more, i would be all over it.

I guess it is the fact that the folding and the front flap seem so well designed, and the back/bezel cover seems like it is a prototype. I'm still thinking about pledging though even though I don't like the back/cover. So please don't take this as me berating you, as I applaud your idea. If it was a cleaner design, and not pieced together this would be a no brainer.

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I stand corrected. Perhaps it's just the handmade look to it that made it look that way. I admit I watched the video without sound since it was quite late. If there was an explanation of materials, I just missed it. Best of luck with it.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
There are other cases that offer more protection because they cover more and still offer the versatility of the stand options that the flip steady does.

Two cases that come to mind are:

Triangus - http://k2wusa.com/onguard-triangus-case-coming-soon/

And the ozaki Icoat - http://ozakiverse.com/products/ipad/icoat-slim-y-d-plus

Sure the flip steady was made in America and that's great, but I need my China made iPad covered that is the whole point of a case. It could be made out of diamonds for all I care, but if it doesn't cover my iPad and protect it from scratches or what not I'm not interested.

I'm not trying to tear you down new pencil just giving you some criticism so you can hopefully improve your product for other people that feel this way which I'm sure are many. I think you have the potential for a great case. However, as of right now I think the flip steady should be marketed as a stand and not a case. Good luck it's a competitive market. :)

Last edited:

FABRICS111

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
I'm not agree with you about MAJILITE
Majilite it's ******** :mad:
My previsous boat was done with that
it's really not a good fabrics for boat, it's really breakable, very weak

Meanwhile it's good FlipSteady will be made in America

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.