Fliying through text in motion 3 or 4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by uptherighttree, May 11, 2010.

1. uptherighttree macrumors member

Jun 16, 2008
    anyone know of a good tutorial on how to create a video of how to fly through text in motion 3 or 4? (or FCP too)

Just wondered if there's a quick way of creating an effect where I don't need to create the 86 individual names I need to fly through and can just create the effect and motions clever tools can make it up for me.

ta muchly
  2. AVR2 macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2006
    You need to be a bit more descriptive about what you actually want. "Fly through text" can mean anything from a simple 2-keyframe scale change to a highly complex 3D animation.

I'm going to make the assumption here that you just want the sort of effect you see a lot in movie trailers, where you get a piece of text that zooms towards you. That's very easy to do - just two keyframes on the scale parameter (or the Z position), or more if you want the text to move slowly while you read it, and then zoom quickly to fill the screen.

Once you've created the effect for the first name, you can simply duplicate it as many times as necessary and change the name on each duplicate.

Assuming that this is indeed the sort of effect you're talking about, check out Zak Peric's "3D text fly-in" tutorial here. It's for text that flies onto the screen from behind the camera and then gets smaller, but the basic technique is the same one that's used for text that moves towards the camera.