Floodgates open for iOS 9 updates but... split view? (especially Apple apps)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blackcrayon, Sep 15, 2015.

1. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

I see that the iOS 9 updates for apps have been coming in. Now, I certainly don't expect *all* of them to suddenly support the new Split View for the iPad Air 2... But I was sort of hoping *Apple* would have updated Numbers, Pages, and Keynote for it. But nope. The apps have just updated, but no split view support! Has anyone seen any apps yet that support it other than the few included apps?

2. cloudystrife macrumors member

This is exactly why I'm passing on the mini 4 for now

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

How do you know they don't support split view?

4. blackcrayon thread starter macrumors 68000

Because I'm running iOS 9 and there is no split view available with the apps, how else? :)

5. sealos macrumors regular

Why? The iPad Mini 4 will support split screen view just like the Air 2.

6. blackcrayon thread starter macrumors 68000

I think cloudstryfe means that since some major apps are not updated for split view yet, there is no reason to buy a Mini 4 yet (for him/her).

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You mean the beta software you are running doesn't support split view in some apps?

8. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Google Chrome just updated for iOS 9 without split view compatibility too...I was hoping for an easy way to have two browser windows open at once.

9. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

We are running the iOS 9 gold master, genius. Split view compatibility is handled by developers, not the OS.

10. blackcrayon thread starter macrumors 68000

You're not serious are you? You think final, just updated versions of the apps wouldn't work with Split View on the gold master release of the operating system, which is due tomorrow? And tell me, how would the developers outside of Apple know Split View even worked if the betas couldn't support the apps running it (much less a GM candidate)?

Yeah, I was hoping for that, but I don't expect Google to ever be there for a "day 1" support of a brand new major iOS feature. I was a bit more hopeful for Apple to support it out of the gate in their office suite though.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I guess your GM is missing something....

12. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Pretty disappointing to be honest, it needs more app support.

13. sealos macrumors regular

Ah gotcha! It is just a matter of time before they start dropping on the App Store. We should start seeing them tomorrow.

14. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Please do everyone a favor and educate yourself on the topic before posting.

15. blackcrayon thread starter macrumors 68000

Hopefully! Was just a bit disappointed that several of my favorites were updated today but no Split View support. I'm glad it's finally "here" though! It's going to be a lot of fun for certain kinds of apps to finally have them sharing the screen. I guess we'll have to start with some of the "Easy" ones (i see PCalc supports it).

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok, I will. And the split views during the announcement?

17. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

All of the material shown by Apple was of the apps that supported split screen in the betas...this thread is about third party apps.

18. blackcrayon thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think they showed split views for any software that has been updated today that do not actually work.
    I won't expect the Microsoft apps to update with split views until their Pro version is ready, either (as it's really just the same thing in a smaller size).

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummm, you should re-read the op. I think you have a comprehension malfunction.

20. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Ummmm....nope. Split view is not exclusive to Apple iOS applications.

21. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Scanbot is available in split view for me now.

22. newellj macrumors 601

Non-native apps to support SplitView will not be released in the App Store until the public release of iOS 9. After that, it's probably up to the individual developers to choose when or if to do so.

23. blackcrayon thread starter macrumors 68000

Not true, there are 3rd party apps in the store that have been updated already to support Split View (PCalc, Launcher are two examples).
    iOS 9 is due out tomorrow, which is why all of the "updated for iOS 9" labeled apps started appearing today. I'm just making the observation that some key apps (even from Apple) have JUST been updated today, but lack Split View support. It's obviously because they aren't finished rather than being restricted by Apple- it just would've been nice to have iWork this way out of the gate.

24. blackcrayon thread starter macrumors 68000

Ha, and here comes Microsoft with OneNote with Split View support... :)

25. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yep, got some iOS 9 updated apps today and they have split view support. :)

Sadly, I have no compatible iPad.