Floppy ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrFusion, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I have a colleague who has a 3.5" floppy disk with some pictures on it. The disk is supposedly formatted for Apple .
    I never had an apple with a floppy drive, so I can't help her, but maybe you can?

Is there someway to do a binary read of the disk on a windows computer, transfer that to my mac and retrieve the pictures?

Or does any of you still have a mac with floppy drive? Maybe I could send the disk to you and you send me back the pictures by email? You are welcome to keep the disk.

Thanks.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

As the other poster said, a USB floppy drive is probably your best bet - with the proviso that if the disk is from an early Mac (68k), you still won't be able to read it as the drives in those days were rather unusual variable-speed mechanisms and nothing built since those days can handle disks written that way.

Not meaning to be too depressing, but I should also point out that Macs have not shipped with floppy drives in over 10 years, so unless the disk has been kept very carefully, there's a reasonable possibility it may be corrupt - floppies never really offered much in the way of longevity.

4. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

An external drive seems a good solution. I didn't know Mac OS X still supported such things.
    I know Apple was the first to do away with floppy. Good riddance I say.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

a USB floppy drive is a nice inexpensive solution. I would think you could pick one up for around $10 used.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I was wondering this too... does Mac OSX have support for USB floppy drives?

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yes, I use one with my Macbook. No drivers required, it's even a Super disk drive too with support for 120MB Imation Disks :p

8. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

I bought an external floppy reader for about £10. However you have to be quick as they are becoming few & far between as less companies are selling them