Florescent lights - I hate them

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dmmcintyre3, Aug 9, 2009.

?

What light type do you prefer?

1. LED

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Incandescent

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Halogen

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Florescent

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Especially when the owner or maintenance crew lets them get messed up to the point that they flicker worse than a 60 Hz CRT.

The people that put them where they shine right into my house window flickering are so annoying. The only florescent lights are in the pantry which is not used and 1 closet. The others were removed from the house or are in the attic or under the house.

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

3. Greedo Guest

i loves me color corrected compact fluorescent bulbs. we dont use them only in lights that are on a rheostat/dimmer.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The flicker must distract you so much you missed a "u".

Incandescent - warm, hot, and wasteful
    Fluorescent - harsh (but you can get newer bulb that are warmer), coo, less wasteful

Others: halogen, LED, etc.

Sorry, my friend, but the incandescent bulb is on the way out.

I wonder if your great-great grandfather complained "I hate the flicker and soot from my new-fangled whale oil lamp. I miss the good old days of wax candles!" :rolleyes:

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Fluorescents can be pretty hateful things. I'm referring to those big long tubes you get in offices in particular. But incandescent bulbs are just such a ridiculous waste. Some of the more expensive energy saving bulbs are bearable, they're what I'm using in a lot of our lights these days. Offices, though, well, looks like those tubes are here to stay.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I likes me some halogen. As we go through our house redecorating each room at a time, the first thing we do is chuck out the old lights and replace with halogens. Nice pure white light, or near enough. And when close to a wall they have that lovely spotlight effect.

7. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Don't know about whale oil, but you don't have electricity, there's plenty of applications where wax candles are better than kerosene lamps.

For any room in which you'll gonna have lotsa sex = incandescent.

8. dmmcintyre3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Let me go turn off that light.

I find that LED lights is whiter than any other light I have seen. I do not get why schools and other places cannot add more windows and not run the lights so much. That is a waste.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

While I like the light quality of incandescent bulbs, they do have three problems:

1) They use a lot of power for its light output.

2) They generate a lot of heat.

3) They have relatively short operating lives--I'll be lucky to get four months of use for each light bulb.

Today's newest CFL's no longer have the awful bluish-white light, warm up to full brightness within 30 seconds, generate a lot less heat, and best of all use less than 1/4 the wattage of equivalent brightness incadescent bulb. :)

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Incandescent.

I especially like christmas lights. They line the walls in my living room, and set the perfect mood.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Because windows allow for a lot of heat/cold transfer, driving up HVAC bills.
    2) You don't want kids looking out the windows and not looking at the teacher.
    3) You are preparing today's youth for lives of bland, windowless cubicle work.
    4) Windows sucks!

13. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

#s 2 and 3 sound like you've been reading JT Gatto.

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yes, and your love of fluorescent bulbs must have made you say coo. I guess maybe that's some baby talk or something?

See? Anyone can be a grammar/spelling Nazi! It's fun for the whole family!

Oddly enough, the high school I attended believed in this. It was an open campus, with blocks of classrooms. Each block had four classrooms in it, and two of the walls were basically nothing but glass. Each block of classrooms was connected buy sidewalks, and there was a small courtyard between the buildings. Either the designers wanted to save on lighting, or they were stoned. The school was designed in the 60s. The designers also seemed to forget that we get a lot of sun and heat in Mississippi, and those glass walls did a great job of letting in all that heat. Those classrooms were insanely hot, especially since we no A/C when I was going to school there.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The color accuracy of Halogen and Incandescent bulbs is still appreciably better than fluorescents, very much so in some cases. I'm pretty sensitive to not only the cooler temperature of most fluorescent light but also the fact that it often doesn't produce the richness of color that incandescent/halogen/sunlight/candles do.

16. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I find I am most calm/comfortable in a completely dark room with some candles and maybe my LED color changing lights (little accent lights). But if I have to have the light on I have the "warm" version of the compact florescents.

17. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I have some mini cfl's, I'm not sure if they're color corrected or not but they're in some Ikea lamps and they're hella yellow, just as much as incandescent. It makes me look tan though so it's cool. I find the energy savings and what not easily balance out any minor imperfections. I think LED is the way of the future since they can be designed to any wavelength of light if I am correct.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer florescent where ever possible. In some lighting situations, I prefer incandescent, and others florescent.

Florescent lights use less electricity, and last a lot longer then incandescent, they also throw off a lot less heat so all in all Florescent > incandescent.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

LOL - damned fluorescent bulbs (I wish I could blame all my typos on this) :rolleyes:. While spelling and grammar mistakes irk me, I was using this as a humorous intro to my post. There are, however, some peoople on here who add nothing to the forum thna to serve as human spell-/grammar-checkers. They irk me more than the mistakes.

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Same here. I just always find it amusing when someone is a spelling/grammar Nazi and screws up themselves. Bad spelling and grammar drives me up the wall personally, but I can ignore the occasional slip up as long as I still understand the basic premise. The whole plural/apostrophe thing still grates on my nerves, though. Or maybe that should be nerve's. I'm very close to just giving up on that one, since it seems the rest of the country has. :rolleyes:

Anyway, for the most part, I like CFLs. They have come a long way since I started using them. I love the lifespan of them. I put my first one in a lamp around 2002, and didn't replace it until around 2007. That lamp gets quite a bit of use, so I was very impressed with that. My biggest gripe with the CFLs is the ones I put in the vanity light rack in the bathroom. Maybe because they are the generic brands, but they take a while to warm up, and they have a bluish/purplish tint.

21. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I prefer the compact florescent in my home. Reason for it because I like light and a lot of light. The power savings be damned. I use compact florescent because I can put a 100w equivalent in a 40W socket and not have to worry about it because the socket limitation are because of heat and power usage so I solve that problem but putting a lower wattage bulb that puts out more light. At least that is my reasoning.
    In my apartment I had 3 100W equivalent florescent bulbs in my ceiling fan. Those sockets were rated for 60W max I believe. I loved all the extra light.

23. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

"Not that anyone could look good under these zombie lights. I, I, I, I can feel them sucking the juice out of my eyeball. Suck, suck, suck, SUCK... " - Joe Versus the Volcano

24. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I prefer high pressure sodium myself. There is nothing like a few thousand watts of blinding yellow light.:D

On a serious note though for quality of light output. I would go with the incandescent daylight bulbs.

In practicality though I go with the compact fluorescent bulbs. Except decorative light fixtures where the CFL's would look atrocious use incandescent bulbs. Luckily these are lights only used for short periods like the hallway, bathroom, garage and porch. The extended use lights are mostly CFL's the others will get CFL replacements when the regular bulbs burn out.

25. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Full-spectrum lighting, which closely simulates sunlight, is healthiest during the day. It stimulates serotonin production, which affects mood and alertness.

It is also recommended for rooms where people do color-grading on computer monitors, as it is close to the color temperature of most monitors and does not put a deceptive color cast on it or the wall behind the monitor (which is preferably a neutral gray).

At nighttime, low-level incandescent lighting is best, because it does not stimulate serotonin production as much and allows the body to produce melatonin in preparation for sleep.

Disturbing the body's circadian rhythm can cause depression and even a greater likelihood of some cancers.