Florida Verizon ---> ATT & iPhone Switchers Chime In!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoJoCal19, Jul 3, 2009.

1. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I am with Verizon and have been for the most part since they were PrimeCo because of the coverage. I did get the 2G iPhone on launch day two years ago but only used it for 6 months because ATT coverage was horrible here in Jacksonville area so I went back to Verizon. Lots of my team members at work have iPhone 3G's and they say that they dont have issues with ATT. I travel all over Florida usually and having good coverage is important.

In case you didnt know, Verizon is screwing their existing customers in trying to order the BlackBerry Tour. Im extremely pissed at how they are handling this and treating existing customers and I am really tempted to go back to the iPhone. I had always said if ATT improved coverage and apple added MMS and Copy/Paste Id get one so I may have to put my money where my mouth is.

Im looking for opinions from people specifically here in Florida that have made the switch from Verizon to ATT since the 3G or 3GS has been out. Anyone in NoFla is especially appreciated.

2. smassey321 macrumors newbie

iPhone works fine for me in NW Saint Johns county. I know a few people who switched from Verizon to iPhone and they have no complaints.

3. JoJoCal19 thread starter macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I too am in NW St Johns. I know Sprint gets NO reception out here so I was wondering how ATT is. I might go get a prepaid ATT sim to pop in my 2G iPhone and see how the cell reception is around here.

Also I do find it a shame there is practically no 3G in St Augustine. How are the EDGE speeds here?

4. smassey321 macrumors newbie

Most of what I get here is 3G. We are north of Racetrack in JCP. In downtown Saint Augustine it is only EDGE. Sprint has almost zero signal here. Verizon and at&t must use the same towers as I get the same signal when comparing the 2.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

AT&T will "screw" you the same way you look at Verizon "screwing" you. If you see them trying cover their own loses as trying to "screw" you you will end up getting screwed no matter who you are with.

6. S1XStringMayhem macrumors newbie

I have the iPhone 3g and my girlfriend has some generic verizon phone living in Winter Park. I can tell you that from here to miami you get 3g almost all the way. Of course there are areas you would expect to not have 3g like arcadia and bowling green but even there I get edge. She however is usually around 2-3 bars and 1 in our appartment. So obviously, im happy with AT&T.

7. JoJoCal19 thread starter macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Well I dont know how preventing existing customers from trying to order a new phone or add new lines of service and ordering a phone thus giving them more money "covering their losses". Last time I checked carriers want to add new customers or lines of service because thats where they make their money? I have several BBs and lines of service and pay $200 a month. They obviously dont want my business anymore. Im NOT one of those people that try to get something for nothing from cell carriers. I dont always call in looking to upgrade early or get a new phone just because I dont like my current one. People who are existing customers are trying to get the new Tour, specifically pre-order so they arent sold out. Not allowing existing customers to do so is screwing them.

8. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I live and work in the Riverside/Downtown area and get good reception everywhere but my office but I think that's because so many computers are on and it throws off a bag magnetic field.

Only place elsewhere I've had any kind of connection issues is time outs trying to Twitpics from Jaguars games.

9. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Your area is all edge for St aug and the speeds are bearable, not sure if jax is 3g yet, i spend most of my time in ormond beach and i think they stopped 3g there and at this point im guessing they aint gonna bother with 3g, just skip over to 4g or whatever the are gonna call it. As for coverage i get service everywhere i go in FL, usually 3-5 bars and dipping to 1 in some backwoods areas.

10. Westin macrumors regular

I live in Indian River County on the east coast and my service is awesome! Fast 3g and 5 bars wherever I go.

11. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Switching to ATT because of iPhone is understandable, but never switch to ATT because you think VZW is screwing you. VZW ain't no evil and ATT ain't no angel; so true is the vice versa.

1. Do you really want an iPhone? (if not, stay with VZW)

2. Does ATT have noticeably better reception than VZW in your area? (if not, stay with VZW)

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I get great service in Miami. I've been using gophone for two years and just setup postpaid plan with AT&T

Since we have Florida people in this thread.

What are all of the Florida people paying in taxes per month with AT&T?

Plan price:
    Taxe Cost:

Only got my first bill which is prorated but taxes look a lot different compared to what I was paying with gophone. First bill significantly larger due to fees but still..

13. JoJoCal19 thread starter macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Understandable and I actually am not wanting to go to ATT because of Verizon messing around. I am an original iPhone owner and I love the iPhone. Ive just not left Verizon to get the newer iPhones because Ive been satisfied. If you take the satisfaction away what do I have left keeping me from getting the 3GS that I want? I must say Verizons coverage is top notch and I know that ATT is AS good, but I have been hearing a lot of people saying they have not had problems with ATT in NoFla so I may give it a chance.

14. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Would like to know the tax question too!

But back to the OP's subject: I read somewhere that Verizon TODAY changed their Blackberry Tour policy regarding existing customers. So check it out. Sorry, I forgot where I read it... Also, I have an iPhone and love it but I'm with T-Mobile. AT&T is horrible, whether its cell, landline, or customer service!

15. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

i'm in the tampa area and I switched from Verizon for the 2G around 2 years ago....att is usable around here but is NOTICEABLY worse than Verizon...i miss verizon a lot.

16. virtuousxlife macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I just switched from Verizon(Had the BB storm) to AT&T(got a black/32 gig IPhone). I had Cingular several years ago and the coverage was excellent, and thankfully the coverage continues to surpass expectations with AT&T. OP, you're covered in the SoFla region when and if traveling down here. Hopefully Jax has good coverage, too.

17. JoJoCal19 thread starter macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Yea I have the Storm although Im not using it because the click screen sucks. Im rockin a Tre 700wx circa 2006 lol.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Im going to go to the ATT store and get a pre-paid sim chip and pop it in my 2G iPhone and use it as a second phone alongside my Verizon phone for a while and see how it does.

18. BatPhone macrumors newbie

BatPhone

I just switched from Verizon to AT&T. I drive a semi all over the state of Florida , from Tampa to Jacksonville and Miami and all points in between. The only area i havent traveled yet is the pan handle. I have been very surprised that not only do i have service everywhere but i have been in 3G...90% of the time. I travel ALOT of backroads as well as the interstate. Service has been great , i bought mine on the 19th and sevice isnt an issue.

I am amazed though that a computer(iphone) doesnt recieve pic messages and also cant voice dial through my bluetooth. How does Apple not support those features :confused: When the most basic of phones do BOTH !!!