Floridians, How is your 3G lately, Horrible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megalobyte, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Well, when I first got my phone, the 3g speed was very good, and fairly consistant, then, over the last few months, it was sort of all over the place, but, for the most part, it was still fairly usable, despite the variances in speeds and intermittent hiccups.

I'm in the Ft Lauderdale area of FL by the way.

In the last few weeks, I have seen it deteriorate to the point where it's no longer even usable. Through much/most of the day, I'm lucky to even get Edge speeds, I frequently get like 5 to 30 Kbps, or often the data just stops and freezes up, the phone is switching to edge very often now, where before, it rarely if ever did. I particularly love how I'm in a spot I know to have 5 bars of 3g virtually all the time, yet, I often find my phone has switched to Edge, and doesn't switch back so fast, when I do it manually, I'm back to 5 bars 3G. I'm really getting fed up.

I had gotten used to averaging 1 Mbps, often closer to 1500 Kbps, so, lately, it feels like going back to dial up after you've had broadband, which is pretty much intolerable.

I can forgive much of the bugs and issues, but, the one thing i do require of this phone is decent 3G speed, that's at least somewhat consistant.

I am pretty sure this is an ATT bandwidth issue because late at night, like midnight, 1am or 2am, everything seems to work OK, same for early in the morning, but, once the day gets going, when I suppose people are starting to use their 3G connections, the data freezes up and gets slow as can be, again, to where it's actually better to use Edge. Seems to me, ATT's network can't handle the number of people using 3G during the day, at least in some areas, and needless to say, working well after midnight isn't all that helpful...

So, my question to my fellow Floridians is, have you all noticed a drastic drop in 3G speed and usability in the last few weeks? Thanks.

2. jpkinfla macrumors member

jpkinfla

My 3G is OK

I'm in the Central Florida area, and my 3G access seems to have improved with the new 2.1 update... and I get decent speeds when browsing sites, etc...

3. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

i'm a little north of the ft. lauderdale area and i have been experiencing similar problems. in the past week or 2 i have found that my phone is CONSTANTLY switching to edge in areas that i know to have great 3g reception (based on previous use). it started just before the 2.1 update so i was hoping it would get better, but no such luck. the 2.1 update has had no effect, in fact the issue is occurring more now. thanks at&t

4. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

I have to second that... here in Tampa. 3G reception is better.. and speeds are up a bit.

5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

south florida here... no issues to complain of

6. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

7. J*man macrumors member

Same here in Daytona Beach.

8. knight19 macrumors newbie

I live in Orlando, and almost always have 5 bars wherever I go..

9. xcel360 macrumors regular

xcel360

I'm in West Palm, no issues here. I spent all of last week Davie (Ft Lauderdale) and no issues there either.

10. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I'm in Coral Springs...... and Edge has been slower than ever :D

11. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

im about 30 min north of daytona where there is no 3g but when im in the area i get stellar 3g service, no complaints before or after 2.1, actually better edge service in my town. I was in daytona today and had no complaints. My girlfriend is more central and believe me if she had issues i would have heard about it hahaha

12. curmudgen macrumors member

I live between Pensacola and Panama City. We don't have any 3G coverage.

I am 38 years old, and expect to get 3G around here about the same time I start getting social security.:rolleyes:

13. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I'm all the way up here in Tallahassee and with 2.1 my 3G seems to have improved.

14. zapufast macrumors newbie

My 3G is great when my phone will actually stay on 3G.

I am in full strength 3G area and my phone switches to edge.

Anyone have any suggestions?

15. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

3g unfortunately is more of a promise than a reality