Flower Power iMac Will Not Power Up

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Christine1234, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Christine1234 macrumors regular

Christine1234

I picked up an old Flower Power iMac G3 for $5 because it didn't work. When I looked inside there was a 12 year old battery and the one memory stick it had was half out, so I figured I'd take it home and try to get it running.

I put in a new battery and two sticks of RAM from another iMac G3, but nothing happens. The light does not come on indicating that it's getting power, but sometimes I can hear a static like noise and the case gets warm. I tried starting it using both the power button on the keyboard and the power button on the computer. I tried apple+option+P+R and pressing the PMU reset button as well as different power cords and keyboards and can't see anything missing or disconnected when I open the back of the case.

Any ideas as to what it might be or what I could try? I know it's an old computer, but I love old Macs.

Thanks.

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I would guess that the logicboard probably failed. If it's getting warm when plugged in then that indicates to me that there is power, which would in turn indicate that the power supply is ok. If you have it plugged in and "turned on" does the CAPS lock light on your keyboard come on when you press it?

If so, there's power. And if there's power and no video and no chime and no boot then that to me is a pretty good indication that it's the logicboard.

I may be wrong though. Perhaps there are others here that know more about the iMacs than I do.

3. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

I just gave it a try. I pushed the power button on the keyboard, and the caps lock key flashed then became very dim. When I press it I can see that it's lit, but it's very dim. I could also hear the static noise.

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

5. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

Standard failure on a slot-load iMac is the power supply. On my Indigo, all I would hear was a "Flup, Flup, Flup" sound when I pressed the power button.

If you're sure it's the motherboard instead, I'd be willing to let the Indigo motherboard (705CXe, 500mhz) go for postage and considerations.

6. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Right now I don't know what's wrong, and hope the problem is limited to one part. It probably is.

So far we have one suggestion of the logicboard and two for the power supply, so the power supply might be the first thing to try. It does get power, but the on/off lights are either so dim you can't see them or are unlit, and the caps lock on the keyboard is definitely dim. It does get some power using either the on/off switch on the computer or the one on the keyboard, but it doesn't boot. Does that sound like the power supply?

Jruschme, the specs for the Flower Power iMac G3 says that it's 500 MHz and has a 750cx processor. If yours would work and it is the motherboard that's causing the problem, I'd be interested in the one you have.

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Shame to hear about a dead Flower Power. I like those.

I am shocked that my very old Strawberry iMac is still working even with the original 6gig hard drive :eek:

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Yes. It might not be completely dead but if it doesn't provide needed voltage on some lines, symptoms would be as described.

Here is one for cheap: http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Down-Converter-Board-for-iMac-Slot-Loading-922-4518-p-35508.html