Flu season and the iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozzyman500, Nov 13, 2009.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I'm a big germaphobe and already been sick once this year. I'm curious how often do you disinfect your iPhone? I clean mine about 2-3 times a week. Mostly because I deal with things a whole bunch of people touched and don't want their germs all over my phone. Strange, I know. So how many times do you clean your phone, if at all?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've never disinfected it. Aside from the occasional wipe to clear fingerprints (with my palm), my phone sees no cleaning at all.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Never. My screen has smudges. It's in a case, but there's always some white junk that comes off the back (sweat? I have no idea). I'm sure there are lots of germs on my phone. It doesn't bother me.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

IMO cleaning your phone should be standard thinking. I could care less if it's just an iPod but your phone is so close to your face at times some of those germs might rub off on you :(.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

6. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

Speaking as someone who is trying to break free of OCD tendencies, germs will not kill you. Paradoxically, the more you disinfect and wash, the weaker your immune system becomes and the more likely you are to get sick.

Stop buying disinfectants. Stop using anti-bacterial soap. Just use regular soap when you need to wash up like after using the toilet and before eating or preparing food. Period.

I am saying this as much to myself as I am to the rest of you. Stop living in fear. Your immune system and skin will thank you.

I washed my hands often when I was at work but I still got sick. I've been sick for the past three days.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^
    QFT. I never get sick. I don't worry about germs.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Finally, someone who can think.

10. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Exactly. Your logic coincides with your user name.

11. lollicup macrumors regular

sigh you are a sad individual, that will probably continue to get sick at a higher rate than those around you

sounds like you are agoraphobic and a hypochondriac

You are weakening your immune system by not exposing it to low levels of bacteria/germs

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Exactly... that's what your immune system is for!!!
    Just like the rest of your body, if you don't exercise it, it will only get weaker.
    Put away the handi-wipes and let your body do what nature built it to do.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Base on what I read so far, washing my hands after I take a crap is weakening the immune system of those that I come in contact with.

14. lollicup macrumors regular

haha not quite you are oversimplifying the matter

two types of bacteria non-pathogenic and pathogenic

and then two types of ways to remove/kill bacteria

non selective = soap ( wipes off bacteria /grime etc)
    selective = antibacterial products ( take advantages of bacterial cell wall/proteins in order to kill bacteria)

washing your hands after you go to the bathroom is a good thing. It removes a pathogenic bacteria (e.coli, and others) from your hands and doesn't allow it to spread. E.coli is endemic to your GI tract, it should never be found on your skin

Now washing your hands with antibacterial products is a completely different story. You are trying to kill the bacteria on your skin. Most of these products do not wash off whats on your skin, it simply kills it. While it will kill non-endemic bacteria ( such as e-coli) it will also kill endemic skin flora ( such as staph aureus)

The problem is that you are killing what shouldn't be killed.. and you are also making resistant strains of bacteria

but i'll cut myself short and just say that

this is a pretty complicated matter, something that would probably take an entire week of class to fully explain

15. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

To build off of what lollicup said, before man became domesticated we were wild ( also known as "Natural Man" ). Natural Man had a layer of natural, beneficial bacteria known as "Flora" which acted ( basically ) as a shield against harmful bacteria. As man became more domesticated it became "normal" to wash the skin more regularly ( understandably so ), and while this made us smell better, and more appealing to others, it did dramatically reduce the amount of natural skin flora that resides on human skin and thus made us more susceptible to external, harmful bacteria.

So, while normal cleaning after coming in contact with harmful bacteria is absolutely beneficial seeing as our natural skin flora is not as effective as it was before, constantly sanitizing yourself, and further inhibiting the development of natural skin flora will only be detrimental to your health.

Case in point, I work in the medical field and am constantly in contact with ill people, blood, extreme temperatures, so on and so forth. I simply wash my hands regularly and I never get sick. I have never received a flu shot and still never get sick, and by never I mean I have only been sick three times in my life.

• Chicken Pox when I was eight.
    • An Ear Infection when I was 12.
    • An Ear Infection when I was 23.

I haven't been sick since.

So being a germiphobe is really counter-productive.

But ultimately, I know it is a psychological issue, and nothing I could say would encourage you to change your habits.

That Said, Here's What You Can Do.

Get a box of antibacterial wipes and wipe your phone with those. They are alcohol based so they wont cause water damage, but keep them away from the moisture sensors ( Headphone Jack and Dock Connector ) just to be safe.

I hope this helps.

16. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I think we should make a sticky clearing up the 'could care less' vs. 'couldn't care less'. Every time I see this, it drives me up the wall. If you could care less, then that means you care a lot already. If you don't care at all, then you couldn't care less.

For what it's worth, I clean my iPhone twice a week with antibacterial wipes and iKlear.

17. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I never clean my iPhone. Well, sometimes I wipe the screen with a bit of my tshirt.

Beyond like clothes and dishes I don't clean any of my belongings.

18. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Unless he's trying to say that he cares slightly about it. Then "I could care less" would be appropriate.

19. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wish I could be like this. :(

20. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No, if he cared slightly about it then he could still care less. Couldn't care less is where you would not care about it at all. In this case, I feel it was the latter point the poster was trying to make.

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Agreed:

[​IMG]

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This can't be posted enough :). I'm amazed at how often people get this wrong. It's not as if it's a difficult concept.

23. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Ummmm, that's exactly what I said. I believe you may have imagined a "n't" at the end of the "could" in my post. Check it out again.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

For all intensive purposes, I agree. :D

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Love it! I actually used to write it that way, until I was corrected by an old girlfriend.

Now, can we end the discussion on "couldn't care less?"