Flu shots

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cave Man, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

All right people. It's getting to be that time of year when influenza will start to take off in the next month or two, so do you civic duty and get vaccinated now. Remember, it's not just for your protection, but also to protect the elderly and very young children in our communities. More than 30,000 Americans die each year from influenza, and vaccination of large numbers of people can reduce that number.

Carry on.

2. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Me too

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah but there is something to be said about people who never get the shot and start ... they tend to get real sick the first year they start the shot during adulthood.

I pass on the shot.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I just got over the flu... so I'm good for the rest of the season.

Edit: I guess I could have just had a bad cold. I took the Tylenol capsules that are for colds and it went away in a couple of days.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think I've ever had the Flu. Not the real Flu but certainly knock-out colds.

... Don't think any locals have.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Only thing i have had a shot for was for rabies when i was about 6-7. My dog bit me and died the fallowing day. Never found out why it died.

Never had the flu, and never get sick. If i get sick, its bad. See my mono thread.

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The only time I got sick was when I got the stupid shot. Most of the time, it doesn't cover the strain that's going around that year anyway. I ended up self-vaccinating from repeated exposure through the years to all sorts of wonderful and exotic crap. ;)

Any more, it's a just nasty cold every couple of years, over & done in five days or so.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I had the flu shot. Drank that night. Don't do it. Only had 3 drinks, but woke up feeling like I had ten.

Were they related or not, I don't know. But that was some hangover.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I never get the flu. I get some nasty colds, but I don't think I've ever had the flu, so I'll pass on the shot. I'm a big baby when it comes to needles anyways

13. stooley macrumors regular

got my shot.

week and a half later, got the nasty stomach bug going around :(. Couldn't wait a little longer until the shot actually took affect haha.

Everyone else who got the shot escaped the bug.....oh well, can't win them all. I am hopefully protected the rest of the season!

14. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I have gotten shots the past several years, but still got the flu. Though, it might not have been as bad as it would have been without shots. I think I will skip them this year and see what happens.

The worst flu I ever got was the "Asian flu" that hit around 2000. It lasted 3 weeks and I thought I was going to die. On second thought, maybe I will get a shot this year...

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is not true.

The flu shot won't help you against a stomach bug. It will only help against influenza.

16. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

i never get flu shots, I rarely get the flu as well. i have had the nasel flu injection before, its so much better than the shot!!!

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I know it would be a good idea to get the shot. I think I get a mild case of the flu almost every year. Not enough to justify missing work but enough to be miserable for a few days. I get a bad cough and a runny noise and feel pretty nasisiated but that is about it. I tend to cough for about 2 weeks after the noise running end.

The joys of a healthy immune system means I just get what systems like a very bad case of the common cold.... I hate the damn flu.

18. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That's because you're just getting a cold, not influenza.

19. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I always get the sho, and I have never been bothered by needles.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you do know they have very similar symptoms. A lot of people get influenza and think it is just a cold.

21. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I've gotten mine the last 3 years. My employer offers them to all associates for free.

I figure I've never had the flu - why not make chances better that I never will ?

Besides, you can barely feel that tiny little needle they use on those things - and I'm a big wuss! It could save your life.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Having been at boarding school and college for the past 6 years, both of which have pretty aggressive student vaccination programs, I've relied on vaccination by 'herd immunity'...that is to say that a good portion of the school is vaccinated and my roommates have been vaccinated most years, so I kind of slip through. Being that I have little interaction with people outside the campus community, I'm generally safe. Haven't had the flu since I was a little kid. Knock on wood.:p
    [​IMG]

ps: Since this things in this thread have turned a little vaccine/anti-vaccine, I'll clarify that I'm absolutely pro-vaccine...I'm just way too lazy to bother getting a flu shot. ;)

23. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Thats because they gave you a very low dose of the flu. Your immune system was probably a little below it's normal self.

24. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I don't know... two years ago I got a flu shot and that night felt like crap and puked my guts out. It was the first time I had gotten the flu shot and the first time I got sick like that. So, I passed last year. Yesterday, the nurse at work told me to get one this year because I have twins coming in the spring - so, I got one yesterday. I slept maybe 2-3 hours last night waiting to puke but it never came. Today I am home sick shi**ing through a screen door with a terrible stomachache. Everyone tells me the flu shot doesn't make you sick, but I sure as heck disagree.