fluctuating house current

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rpaloalto, Jun 12, 2008.

1. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I rent a duplex, which has older wiring. Sometimes I will get brief dimming of lights, when our dryer or washer cycle on and off. This only happens when we have lots of other stuff running, at the same time. We never have had a breaker trip or blow. So the problem is not to bad.

Since I never have had a circuit blow I feel no need for a ups. How ever I would like to protect my mac pro with the same voltage regulating features of the more expensive ups units.

I found this on the APC website and was wondering if it is sufficient for a 2008 mac pro with 23' acd
    I would get the line-R 1200VA
    http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67

2. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

So you want to spend $60 for a power regulator instead of $40 for the least expensive UPS battery backup which will kick in during brownouts? I just picked up the $40 UPS model for my PMG5 and any time there are brownouts or surges or complete outages, my Mac works fine.

3. rpaloalto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Actually the ups that you talk about for $40 from APC does not have avr.
    avr is found on more expensive units from apc. Avr use a electronic capacitor to bump up brief drops of power, instead of using the battery. Which will greatly increase the life of any ups, if you do have frequent brown outs. The brown outs that I talk of are brief like a second or under.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Correct, having the AVR is a pretty important feature of the UPS.
    The cheapest battery backups, and buying a lower rated BBU than you need, can cause more problems than they are worth, from my (bitter) experience.

5. rpaloalto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

So can anyone answer as to if the 1200AV model would be compatible with my new mac pro with 23 acd. I will have 8 gig ram 2 hard drives and 2 dvd drives. Thanks:)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, of course it will be compatible.

Take the wattage draw of the various equipment you;re going to plug in, and add them up. Compare that the the wattage rating of the device (not the VA rating).

The 1200 VA model will be more than adequate.

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

The power supply in the Mac Pro, I think, is 900W. The only thing you have to worry about is the wake from sleep current surge. 100W (max) from ACD, and 900W (max) from Mac Pro, I think you should be safe.

My APC UPS is 1500VA and rated 865W, and it can survive the wake from sleep test.

8. rpaloalto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Thanks,
    I just want to be on the safe side and protect my investment. I would hate to have to deal with a problem 3 or 4 years down the road. From something I could have prevented.

The aps avr power conditioner seems like a good investment for 60 bucks. Even if I did buy a ups with voltage regulation. I would end up spending 2 to 3 times the money. Plus I'm almost sure the ups would never go in to battery mode, anyway. As our electrical fluctuations are very brief and minor. Not total brownouts. Just slight flickering of lights, less than a second. Nothing that this voltage regulator couldn't handle.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Mac Pro power...

I just checked MacTracker and they note that the maximum power draw (for an early 2008 2x2.8Ghz) Mac Pro is 315 watts so I would say that you are covered! :)

10. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I have an APC CS1200 unit and plugged into the "always on" outlet is my HP Laserjet, DSL modem and my Netgear router. In the 'switched" outlets I have the MP, 26" LCD monitor USB hub and my DROBO with 2 drives.
    My MP has three internal drives.
    I have to wait for the UPS to go through its power up sequence (until it gets to the steady green light) before turning on the MP. If I don't then the UPS goes into Overload.
    The Laserjet is only drawing little current when I power on so the main load comes from the MP and the DROBO (the Dell monitor goes into power saving mode almost immediately so its not drawing much).
    If all you have plugged in is the monitor and MP you should be okay, but you will probably want to also protect your other stuff, in which case i would go with the 1500.
    FWIW APC has a program on their web site that will allow you to "plug in" your devices and it will recommend a UPS.

11. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I got the 1300VA model that has done real good for me. Just got it when I got my MacPro as I have seen a lot of dimming of the lights im my apartment. I feel was a good investment, mine has the LCD screen so I can track everything that is going on.