FLV encoding on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steerpikegg, Feb 28, 2008.

1. steerpikegg macrumors member

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but ...

I have just bought a new 8 core mac pro have been disappointed with the encoding speed of some 5 minute quicktime files to flv format with using the Adobe Flash CS3 Video Encoder.

When I looked, I noticed that it is only using 1 of the 8 cores for the encoding.

Is there either a way to make this use all 8 cores or an alternative application which will do the encoding.

Thanks,

Steer

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I've noticed the same thing - just one core being used. I'm afraid it's a situation we'll have to live with for a while, for all sorts of applications, until application developers get more used to the fact that performance these days comes from the increased number of cores, not higher clockspeeds.

- Martin

3. steerpikegg thread starter macrumors member

Yeah ... I'd looked at the Adobe forums - I wondered if anyone had experience encoding flv with something else - maybe the Sorensen software and if this has multi-core support.

Aside from this, yet another dead duck from Adobe.

What with lack of multi-core support and the point blank refusal to produce any 64 bit applications, I'm really starting to hate their monopoly.