FLV to iweb

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mattmcgowen, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mattmcgowen macrumors newbie

FLV to iweb
    I've heard that many PC users don't have quicktime and I wanted to post a professional video on iweb but not have people unable to open it regardless of Mac or PC.

I've heard FLV is good format for everyone? Can I post an FLV file to iweb?

If not what is the best option for uploading video to iweb so all users can easily see?

As you can see from this post I have zero idea what I'm doing...

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

FLV is Flash video. Many people report problems with Flash. Users of iPhones and iPads can't view it at all. I have favorite video repository sites that have completely abandoned FLV and transcoded all of their old videos to H.264. Bottomline: FLV is a very bad choice.

3. boch82 macrumors 6502

You need to find a swf player and embed that code into your page using the "insert html widget" or something like that. Inside the code for the swf player you need to link it to the flv file.

At this point I think that majority of PC users have quicktime. H.264 quicktime at a data rate of less that 1.5mb/s is the most compatible format out right now for web and mobile devices

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

You can use H.264 inside a Flash player. The vast majority of web browsers will be able to play that, but people with iPhones and certain other smartphones won't. There is a way round this but that might be making things more complex than they need to be.

5. boch82 macrumors 6502

From my experience it can be encoded with the h264 codec but inside a flash container (f4v instead of flv).

A quicktime (.mov) with the h264 codec will probably not play in a flash player

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

We use H.264 MP4 files with a JW Player front end and no code for detecting user agents or anything and iPhones will play the video just fine. I made the video, did the compression using QT X, recommended JW Player be used and tested it on an iPhone myself.

7. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

It will. MP4 too.

Ah, so the player is doing the useragent business automatically? Handy.

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Actually, I don't think it is, not in our version anyway. I suspect the iPhone itself is smart enough to see the link to the reference file inside the code that calls the JW Player. Anyways, with the latest version of JW Player, the point is moot since it will serve up the same video file (or indeed alternate video file formats) in different ways depending on what is required.

If you're serving video files professionally, it's worth the money. An alternative player that's quite popular is Flow Player.