.flv's work locally but not remotely

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by blaklaybul, Nov 27, 2008.

1. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

Can someone help me...

I'm new to the web design world and I am currently working on a site for one of my professors. I converted video to .mov and then to .flv and inserted it into a webpage in dreamweaver...When i test it locally, the players and videos work fine. When I upload everything onto the site, nothing shows up. Can someone tell me what Im doing wrong? Here is a link to the site....

http://saltassociation.com/STARTALK Site/videos.html

Thanks alot

2. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

You must upload your "AC_FL_RunContent" file, ideally in the same folder as the page or link your file to the correct location of the file (line 65 of your HTML page).

A good trick is to export your site/page locally in a specific (empty) folder, then upload everything from that folder "as is" on the server.

3. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

Thanks for the response...

but Im still confused. Where can I access this file?

Can someone walk me through the process?

Thanks.

4. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

Anybody?

I really need this done before the weekend...

Thanks!

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Here is a help page which explains what AC_FL_RunContent is with links to scripts. Try the advice listed on that page or simply remove that portion of the code if you feel you don't need it at all.

The resolution given to you by morespce54 was very specific and correct. Line 65 involves this portion of the code YOU added to display the video:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0','width','480','height','360','id','FLVPlayer','src','FLVPlayer_Progressive','flashvars','&MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Clear_Skin_3&streamName=Jishnus_Lecture&autoPlay=false&autoRewind=false','quality','high','scale','noscale','name','FLVPlayer','salign','lt','pluginspage','http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash','movie','FLVPlayer_Progressive' ); //end AC code
    </script>
    When you see replies here, we assume if you have it in your source by your own hand then you at least know what it is. You might have the dreaded disease copypasteitis where novices copy paste code expecting it to work without RTFM or researching its use. We understand after installation it might not be working perfectly and might require help, that's part is fine. In this case one of the users noticed a file referenced by your source might be missing which prevents the video from displaying and should not have had to explain it further. Heck, they even told you which line number so you can see which portion of your own code to check.

-jim

6. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

I appreciate your help but do not appreciate your attitude.

Not everyone is a "SrWebDeveloper" and I, for one, am a complete beginner.

RELAX.

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Fair enough. Sorry for the attitude, I tried to keep it a tad humorous with the fake disease thingy (we all do things like then when new) but I could have done better. I also got miffed a little at your response when nobody replied to you in a timely manner (in your opinion) --- It seems you forgot this might be due to some people going offline a bit for the THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY WEEKEND IN THE USA. The forum has rules about bouncing and applies to us all, newbie or not. Next time you're in a massive rush you might want to use Google -- as I did to help you here. No shame in that, not sure why you never thought of it! Better than any textbook, believe me! (half joking)

Hope you got things working now, honest. :) :) :)

-jim