Flying American Airlines on the 22nd to Nashville :)))

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gregdrummeraz, Jul 1, 2008.

1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

REALLY EXCITED!!! but do they give free drinks on the flight?

And how worried should I be that my bag gets lost? I have to take a 1 stop flight(In dallas, will be there for 45 mins.)

Should I be worried?

Also, again, free drinks or not?

by drinks I mean soda. ahahah :rolleyes:

THanks.
    Greg

2. bbbensen macrumors 6502

You seem pretty excited.... Have you ever flown before? It actually sucks. A lot.

Although I havent flown with American, I would think that they gave you free soda.

Yes, there is a chance your bags might get lost. Just bring your important stuff in your carry-on. If its lost, you will get it back eventually.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

1. You should get a free soda in coach ;)

2. Your bag will get lost... pack everything you need in a carry on :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Yes, you do get free drinks and yes, your bags could get lost, but its not likely.

Enjoy your trip!

5. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I've flown a couple times ;)... seriously.... A FEW! ahah

Im stoked though. yeah My stuff is going carry on.. my families stuff is not though.. unless they figure something out. idk.... I "dibsed" the carry on sized bag though.. :p

Will be there for 2 weeks.

6. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do you think the bag wil get lost? or are you kidding? :eek:

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Realistically, your bag has about a 97% chance of being on time and a 3% chance of being delayed. Bags hardly ever get lost, it's just a matter of whether they're delayed for a few hours or a few days.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nah, probably won't get lost, but with a transfer bag, the chances increase
    45 layover can be less if you are late, but usually a bag beats the customer

but... truth is, lots of bags don't make it to the destination with the customer
    most of those will show up soon
    others, sadly, never make it

but you will probably be fine ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive learned to pack everything i need onto a carry-on. i mean you get a backpack or laptop bag and a carry-on bag

took me a couple flight to realize i dont trust baggage handlers and i hate waiting in line to check baggage. if you have carry-on, you will not lose a bag and you can get your ticket electronically skipping that whole checkin line. also realized i always way overpacked

soooo worth it to not have checked luggage

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

most charge for the 2nd checked bag now
    some charge for the 1st checked bag

carry on ;)

arrives with you
    nothing is broken
    saves time checking in
    saves time not going to baggage claim

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

wow, you sound so excited! I don't see why they wouldn't have free soda, every flight I've been on does, and I've only had one occasion when my luggage was lost...except it wasn't really lost, it was just late and we picked it up in the morning.

12. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay....

What if!!!

We all put a set of clothes in eachothers bags...(5 of us going.... 5 sets of clothes) then if they loose only one bag, we still have clothes and it will most likely be there the next day, then we all would have clothes no matter what.

Chances are they wont loose all of our clothes... hows that sound? :cool:

worth it?

13. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

Maybe, if you're really that worried. I wouldn't be.

Put a set of clothes in your carryon and you'll be fine. Show up at least 1.5 hours early if you're checking a bag. Most of the time when one gets delayed is because it didn't have time to go through the system.

As an employee, let me be the first to say thanks for flying American!

14. buffalo macrumors 65816

Good luck...

I just flew home on American from San Jose, Costa Rica. I left Friday morning and was supposed to get home Friday night. When did I get home? Monday about noon. Thank you American Airlines! Oh yeah, and the flight to Miami was cancelled on the trip to Costa Rica. Thankfully, they put us on a Delta flight through Atlanta into San Jose.

And don't forget last year. Traveled to Indianapolis to catch a flight to Austin. That flight was cancelled. Leaving Austin, our flight to Dallas was cancelled.

Can't say I have had too much luck with American.

15. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd have to say that you are trully one in a million. Sorry for you luck but things can get better...

"for things to get better, they have to get worse"

I am hoping for your opposite luck. I am hoping to have a great time and not get an issues at all with my trip. :cool:

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've never had any trouble with American, but now with that BS first checked bag fee and the overall crappy customer service, I'll be flying Southwest a lot more now.

Honestly though, the chance of them losing your luggage is very small. I've flown many times, every time with a checked bag, and I've never had one lost or delayed. Each time you do have to change planes, the possibility of a lost bag does go up a bit, but it's still very rare. You're worrying over nothing.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you do check a bag, dont keep camereas and other valuables in it

also, be prepared to have the tsa go through your bag without your consent and break my locks and tell me they dont have to replace them :mad:

18. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope so :) thanks for the breathe of air.

Greg

19. buffalo macrumors 65816

I live in Cincinnati, which is a big Delta hub, so that's what I usually fly. Never had a problem with them.

What happened in short is this...
    Friday (June 27): Arrive to San Jose airport early for 12:30 flight. Find out it has been delayed to 3:00 because of minor electrical problem. Several more hour long delays. Finally cancelled about 8:00pm. Get new flights for morning and accommodations at a Holiday Inn.

Saturday: Arrive about 6:30am for an 8:30 flight. Begin boarding plane, but then stop. People are taken off plane. Delayed for an hour. Delayed another hour. Told a part was needed that was being flown in at 1:30pm. Plane would be ready to by 3:30. 3:30 comes when we learn plane is delayed. One more hour delay. Flight cancelled about 5:30.

Sunday: Arrive about 5:00am for 6:30 flight. Board plane. Sit until about 7:15. Finally leave and make it to Miami. Board plane for New York (LGA). There is bad weather so we enter two holding patterns. When the plane is low on fuel we head to Washington DC. Sit there for about an hour, refuel leave. The 2.5 hour flight turns out to be about 7 by the time we land. Of course I miss connection to CVG.

Monday: Slept on cold cement floor. At 3:30am, go to ticket counter and get standby on a 7:45am flight. Able to get on that. Surprise... Delay. Eventually leave and land in Cincinnati about 11:00.

Home about 56 hours later than scheduled.

I do know that I will try to never fly American Airlines again in my life. I doubt many of the other 22 people I was traveling with will either.

20. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I may be safe.... Your flight WAS international.. :confused:

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

All I know is that every one of my coworkers that flies American NEVER gets to the destination on time. Then again, they do get there alive and unharmed, so it's all relative, I guess...

I'm a touch over a million miles flown, and been delayed to the point of a missed connection maybe five times, and had luggage delayed exactly three times. Relax, take a good book, and just go with the flow. You'll be fine!

22. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I am bringing this amazinnnnnng book.... my macbook :)

23. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

24. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

Most major delays are caused by weather. Minor delays can be caused by maintenance or staffing, among other things. Do you really want to fly through thunderstorms or in a broken plane or with only one pilot? Hope not! Giving yourself plenty of time when it comes to arriving at the airport and between connections is the key to a stress-free travel day.

25. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Dallas is notorious for delays when the weather goes bad. If there are thunderstorms in the area around DFW, you will be delayed.

Make sure you get good seats. If it is the MD-80 (which a big chunk of AA planes are), try to get the exit seats. Much more room, and as long as you meet the safety requirements, you will be set. Heck, they even come with a DC seat charger for your electronics.

It is never too late to join AAdvantage to get the miles either.

www.seatguru.com to help you read about the seats, but 21F is my favorite :D