Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Hey everyone. I'm just wondering if there is anyone who has flown since the attempted bombings last week. I'm taking off for San Diego (only a short ride) tommorow, and I'm wondering what experiances people have had IE bottled goods and electronics. I am bringing my MBP, iPod, and cell phone, and Bose Quietcomfort 2s, but I do not want to check any of them, not only because I want them for entertainment on the plane, but because I have heard so many horror stories of checking expensive items I refuse to do it. The bottle thing shouldn't be a problem, seeing as I won't be bringing anything on board, but I usually bring deodorant (solid, not liquid) on the flight with me; any ideas on whether that is a no-no or not?

I am not scared of the flight itself, only about getting through security. Any ideas or experiances?

Thanks.

C

CompUser

My dad just flew to Cincinnati. He just got in and went straight to bed. He brought all his toiletries and his laptop and didn't have a problem. He made sure not to bring any shampoo or bottled liquids. He said at the airport there were large garbage bins filled to the top with shampoo and stuff like that that.

I don't think it will be hard at all to get an iPod, Laptop, and headphones through security. Business people travel, and they can't make it so hard for them to travel. People will get p/oed and they might avoid traveling which is going to hurt the airlines.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I don't know what you're so worried about, electronics were never banned stateside. As long as you don't try to bring any liquids in your carry on you'll be fine. Also, make your bag easily searchable for the secondary screening before you board the aircraft.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
adk said:
I don't know what you're so worried about, electronics were never banned stateside. As long as you don't try to bring any liquids in your carry on you'll be fine. Also, make your bag easily searchable for the secondary screening before you board the aircraft.

I read this post and wondered. I recently looked it up on TSA's website and electronics ARE allowed, but knowing airport security they may be forcing people to check all the same. I was just wondering if anyone had any stories regarding either good or bad treatment. Everything looks good so far!

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
Hey everyone. I'm just wondering if there is anyone who has flown since the attempted bombings last week. I'm taking off for San Diego (only a short ride) tommorow, and I'm wondering what experiances people have had IE bottled goods and electronics. I am bringing my MBP, iPod, and cell phone, and Bose Quietcomfort 2s, but I do not want to check any of them, not only because I want them for entertainment on the plane, but because I have heard so many horror stories of checking expensive items I refuse to do it. The bottle thing shouldn't be a problem, seeing as I won't be bringing anything on board, but I usually bring deodorant (solid, not liquid) on the flight with me; any ideas on whether that is a no-no or not?

I am not scared of the flight itself, only about getting through security. Any ideas or experiances?

Thanks.
Well if youre flying from PDX (Im repping P-Town here as well :D ) They are pretty thorough but very curteous when they have to confiscate things. Yous hsould be alright with what youre taking I think. Just curious, what part of portland you from?
-dsm

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
DMPDX said:
Well if youre flying from PDX (Im repping P-Town here as well :D ) They are pretty thorough but very curteous when they have to confiscate things. Yous hsould be alright with what youre taking I think. Just curious, what part of portland you from?
-dsm

I fly through there a lot (so far this summer I've been to Holland/France/Germany [one flight from pdx] and to NY), but I hadn't since this whole explosive gatorade thing. Last time i forgot I had a pocket knife on my keys (I actually forgot my keys were in my bag at all) and they were very nice about it.

I live in Cedar Mill (suburb of Portland, near Beaverton) but spend almost all my time in downtown (school, friends, internship etc...). you?

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
I fly through there a lot (so far this summer I've been to Holland/France/Germany [one flight from pdx] and to NY), but I hadn't since this whole explosive gatorade thing. Last time i forgot I had a pocket knife on my keys (I actually forgot my keys were in my bag at all) and they were very nice about it.

I live in Cedar Mill (suburb of Portland, near Beaverton) but spend almost all my time in downtown (school, friends, internship etc...). you?
Actually pretty close to cedar mill. I live in the west hills of portland, right by Forest Heights by Cornell Road which leads into Cedar Mill I believe. I go to school downtown, and live ~5 minutes away from the willamette. We are only like 2/5 portlanders on the forum. Sorry to get off topic and have a good safe flight/trip!
-dsm

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Felldownthewell said:

Thanks.
I more or less live on airports, but right now there are no sure things about what you can bring with you in your carry-on luggage. Check here for the latest info.
Your MBP and the rest of your cool gadgets should be fine to bring on board, still you wont know for sure until you are there. This can change very fast, especially since US are at orange right now.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Felldownthewell said:
I read this post and wondered. I recently looked it up on TSA's website and electronics ARE allowed, but knowing airport security they may be forcing people to check all the same. I was just wondering if anyone had any stories regarding either good or bad treatment. Everything looks good so far!

Ok, so just don't bring a prototype mp3 player on board and you should be fine then.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Well, just as an update, I am posting from the other side of the security checkpoint (yay free PDX WIFI!) and everything got through fine. Although despite the 4 announcements in 3 minutes and 5 signs in a 10 square foot area loudly shouting the ban on liquids the lady in front of me had orange juice in her purse and slowed things down a bit.

All is well in the land of airport electronics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.