Flying with an airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stagmeister, Sep 17, 2013.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I'm moving, and while most of my stuff is being shipped, I'm flying and taking some of the more valuable stuff with me on the airplane -- such as my computer, but also my Airport Extreme. Does anyone have any advice on going through TSA security with an airport extreme? I'm just worried that the folks there may think that it is much more "extreme" and dangerous than it actually is, considering that they make you take your computer out etc. And since there is no screen to turn on, I'm worried that they may not accept my explanation for what it is.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I traveled to and from japan with mine in my carry on bag. No issues. No questions.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you'll probably have to take it out of the bag, and run it through the xray separately like you do with your laptop. I've flown with my express several times, no problems.

4. opinio macrumors 65816

See... if you bought the Time Capsule you could have teleported your self forward in time through the security check, but NO... you had to get the Extreme... :)

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

Nope.

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

So because no TSA person bothered you, no other TSA agent anywhere will ask to see what's in someone elses bag?

Procedures aren't even the same from airport to airport, let alone from agent to agent.

7. g4cube macrumors 6502a

If in carry-on, be prepared to show it if asked. Most likely you won't be asked. I travel with equipment in my carry-on all the time, and I just make sure that my laptop and tablet are in separate bins like they ask. My cables, charges, and sometimes other more boxy things like drives remain in the bag.

It's been a long time since I had to show and explain everything.

I have had to give up a slice of pie and a sealed can of chip-dip, though. Into the bin after the x-ray revealed them!

When in doubt, be prepared to extricate the items from your bag.

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

That's right. Three airports both going domestic and international on 4 different occasions and never had to take it out. So I said no. Just like you said yoi never had to remove yours but the op probably will. Really you know this based on what?

Lets not make yet ANOTHER simple thread on this site into a pissing match Okay?

Bottom line, the op asked if he would have any probkems and the simpke answer is no.

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes sir! :eek:

10. WestCoastPro macrumors newbie

No TSA is going to ask someone to remove their network router from their bag.

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

Oh good grief.. I was on a flight recently and they got pissed b/c I put my iPad and MBA in separate plastic bins. At the next airport, I naturally put them in the same bin (side by side) b/c the last TSA folks wanted that. It pissed the second batch of TSA folks off so much that they flipped on an alarm and had security descend on me while they shut down our line. I was told to NEVER put 2 electronic items in the same plastic bin...

The lady a line over held things up b/c they wanted her to remove her makeup mirror from a bag so they could inspect it.

There is no telling what TSA will and will not do.

12. WestCoastPro macrumors newbie

So, you didn't have an Airport Extreme? Not sure where you base your findings in that case?

13. brentsg macrumors 68040

You don't fly much I guess.

It took TSA MONTHS to stop freaking out over SSDs b/c they were looking for hard drive platters.

14. WestCoastPro macrumors newbie

I fly over the Pacific at least once a month. Never had a problem carrying my gear,