Flying with Hypermac battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Jan 16, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Anybody flew recently with a Hypermac external battery?

2. amorcito macrumors regular

I doubt you'd have a problem, it does not even look like a battery. The TSA people aren't trained on every MAC item, to be honest. Those Hypermacs look great! How is it treating you? Excellent charge times? What model did you purchase, and how long does it take to fully charge its large battery?

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

absolutely no problem flying between AMS and SFO a couple times this year.

4. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I took my 150 Wh HyperMac battery with me on a flight a couple of weeks ago. I was actually wondering if they would do a bag check on me to see what it is, but nobody bothered. You shouldn't have any issues.

6. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, what machine you use it with and how would you categorize the weight compared to everything else you're carrying? My flight is a long haul flight to Asia from Chicago. A good 20 hours with a small break.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use it with either one of my MBPs - depending on which one I decide to take with me. The weight is a drag (obviously) if I don't have a carry-on and so I have to put it in my Booq shoulder bag. When I have a carry-on, I'll just put it into one of the external zippered pockets for easy access during the flight. With the carry-on, the weight of the battery is a non-issue. The convenience of being able to significantly extend the battery life of my laptop is irreplaceable.

Also, I got a nice Waterfield pouch for my HyperMac battery. It prevents it from getting scratched-up and it has a convenient zippered pocket for the power cable. I got the large pouch for my 150 Wh model: http://www.sfbags.com/products/gearpouch/gearpouch.htm

8. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you have a picture of the battery in the pouch?

I have their 15" Sleevecase, and Travelcase for keyboard etc. I think the battery would fit where the keyboard goes in this case. It's 13"x6"x1.8"

Your pouch is 11.5x6 so it seems it would fit.

Are you able to close the zipper with the battery in the pouch?

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Here are a couple of photos. It fits in perfect.

Attached Files: