flying with imac 24"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zorz, Jul 8, 2009.

1. zorz macrumors newbie

Has anyone accomplished to bring imac 24' on board (as a carry on item) for overseas flight? let me know how you did it as I am planning to do it :)
    any suggestions?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd ship it with insurance.

3. zorz thread starter macrumors newbie

how do you do that? can you tell me more? It seems like a very expensive thing to do to ship imac to overseas, isnt it?

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

What's the carryon size limit? I've heard of people putting guitars and other fragile items in coat closets and the like, but unless it fits in the carryon size, there's no *guarantee* they'll let you take it on the plane. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus, you need to pad it, as you can't sit it on your lap the whole trip. The glass screen would need to survive in the overhead compartment or underneath someone's seat for most of the trip.

It's just bad news all around. Pack it and ship it to your destination.

Edit: Put it back in the original packaging, then pack that in a bigger box if you need to. It's less expensive than buying a replacement one after it gets destroyed on the plane.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Put it to "special luggage" and pack it to original box very carefully and wrap some bubble paper on it. Also ask is flight company taking responsibility is it breaks.

Other idea is to send it via UPS or FedEx to your destination.

6. mslide macrumors 6502a

If you're going to bring it with you to the airport, you need to be prepared to check it as it is larger than the maximum carry on size. I would never check an iMac. I used to be in the airline business and I've seen how baggage handlers handle luggage. They won't exactly handle your imac with care.

That being said, I'd ship it insured with UPS, FedEx, etc. Yes, it will be expensive, but that's why they make laptops :)

7. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Bud, before I answer your question. I think you should let everyone know 'why' you are doing it.

OP, for the most part, you are going to leave everyone questioning "WHY" instead of giving you an answer on "HOW" :confused:

CrackBookPro:cool:

8. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

It's not unreasonable to want to take an iMac overseas for something. No reason to hound him like he's trafficking drugs or something.

If you end up thinking about checking it, be VERY aware of exactly how insurance is handled through the airline. I've heard of some not going over $500, so make sure you can get the full amount covered. Also make sure the turnaround time before you get your money is fast enough to make it worth it.

You're dealing with an extremely fragile piece of equipment. Pack it and insure it with the mindset that it WILL be destroyed by the airport crew.

9. zorz thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, indeed i wanna bring it as a gift to my beloved sister, she always wanted to have one...that is why i want to bring it and am trying to religiously making phone calls to airlines to figure out a way...shipping it with insurance might be out of my means but will indeed research that too....any info/suggestions or past experiences are gladly appreciated....

10. zorz thread starter macrumors newbie

hey crackpro, you have a point...please see my earlier post. I wanna bring that as a gift to my sister...she wants imac 24" and I coudlnt convince her to have a macbook pro, which would be a lot easier for me to bring as a matter of fact...she really likes the big screen of the imac....I am desperately thinking how i am going to do this..airlines are expectedly not that friendly considering the equipment is fragile......I love my sister and wanna make her happy too....that is my dilemna...hope this helps and looking forward to hearing from you on this....

on another note, are there any arguments I can use to convince my sister for macbook pro over imac 24"? (btw, the displays and imac are way over expensive on that part of the world that is why I chose to buy it here in the US)...

many thanks,

11. zorz thread starter macrumors newbie

when u say special luggage, is there any suggestions, what type of luggage are you talking about? thanks for your post.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

13. zorz thread starter macrumors newbie

great question, carryon is typically 118 cm(all dimensions total) and 8 kg...imac 24' is indeed around 9.1 kg (without the boxes of course) and 128cm..so it is indeed more than the limit however slightly more that is why indeed I hope that I can convince the airport guys to enable me to bring the imac 24' on board..I am planning to place that under my seat..

14. HereComeTheBugs macrumors newbie

I travel for a living to major and minor international locations, averaging about 2-3 trips overseas a month.

From my experience? Extremely bad idea. You might be able to get it across the pond as a carry-on on an international flight, but kiss your iMac goodbye if you have to take a "puddle jumper" connecting flight. I can GUARANTEE you that you will not be able to take it as carry-on on one of the smaller connecting flights. The 24'' iMac is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to big to qualify as a carry-on for one of those flights. And believe me, you absolutely do not want to check it. It WILL get destroyed.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Has anyone thought of calling the airlines? They might make special accommodations, there is nothing to lose.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Like golf bags and other easily breakable items. I think there's own section for special luggage in cargo hold or whatever it is in English. Those items are handled with care instead throwing them to cargo hold. It's also much cheaper than sending it via carrier, I guess it's something like 40€ here in Finland (can be more if you want them with insurance, special care etc...). Contact your flight company and ask

17. HereComeTheBugs macrumors newbie

I really don't think it will fit under the seat. Your best bet is the overhead compartment. If you're going overseas you'll be flying on a wide-body jet. most-likely something like a Boeing 777. The 777's have pretty good overhead storage. Unless you're flying business or first class. Business/first sometimes has better under the seat storage (Depending on who you are flying on).

One comment/suggestion, does the stand detach from the iMac's? I honestly don't know? If it does I would recommend you detach it and really wrap/package the screen really good (but not too much -- don't make it too hard to take it out for security). Detaching the stand might make it a little easier for transport.

I missed the part that you're doing all this for your sister. That's really stinking awesome!

Just curious, where will you be traveling to?

18. caonimadebi macrumors regular

There's no way you'll be able to travel with it, unless you've got a gulfstream. At 24", there's simply not a way it'll fit anywhere on board, not even if you buy an extra seat. As for checking it in, there's not a feasibly safe way of doing it, short of custom-making a carbon fiber/kevlar case (like those for expensive cellos) that's also well padded on the inside.
    Your best shipping option will be to go with DHL or Fedex. $200 will probably do it.
    Since this is a present, an even better idea will be to just buy it locally, with all the localized options.

19. suekitch macrumors regular

If you haven't bought it yet (as it sounds like you haven't) - is there any reason that you cannot get it shipped directly to your sister?

I know you're flying - that probably means overseas but it also could be cross-country. Even if it is overseas, Apple have stores all over the place, maybe they ship wherever it is you're going?

20. nightelf macrumors 6502

In which airline are you flying? Some airlines have boxes embargos, you cannot travel with boxes during some months to certain locations. Delta and Continental do not cover any damage to electronic checked luggage.

I had no problems when I sent a 20" iMac as checked lugagge with Delta a couple of years ago.

21. Barthak macrumors newbie

Please keep in mind that whatever country you want to bring this too, you'll have to clear customs. They will see it as if you are importing goods, you'll have to pay taxes over it, even if it's a gift.

The same applies when shipping it over with UPS or FedEx.

Easiest and in the end most likely also the cheapest way to go is to order it online from the localized online apple store.