Flying with Macbook Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ilovemygeek, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

Ok, so I understand that when you travel they now swab your computer with some chemical. Will that damage the finish on my macbook? I have a black macbook and I'm uber anal about stuff being rubbed on it. thanks :c)

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

What the heck? I've never had my macbook rubbed down with anything at any of the airports I've been through :confused:

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Where did you hear that from? I'm a frequent flyer and have never experienced such thing.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

A chemical? The most I've ever seen them use is a sterile cloth swap -- no liquids involved. You should be fine. If the thing could damage personal property, I expect it wouldn't be used.

You must have a very trustworthy face :p. It's ok. Sometimes I've been swabbed, others not. It's fairly common for them to ask, but also random.

5. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Friend of mine had it happen to her and I googled it and have found more instances of the TSA swabbing laptops with something. I wouldn't mind the top b/c I have a gelaskin but I'd like to know what freaking chemical it is and if its going to harm my finish.:mad:

6. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

It's probably the DoD card I carry around :D

7. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Like the earlier poster said - the TSA swabs your computer or luggage with a small piece of sterile cloth, which then they place into a 'sniffer' to detect any type of bomb making residue.

There is nothing on the swab - no chemicals, no goop... no worries.

8. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Just make sure it's not flaking, the front of the handrest isn't breaking away. They could be used as weapons.

I just realized why there is a black tax(or was) the paint on the blackbooks is the same used on the steal bombers. :eek:lol

9. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No it won't do anything, and even if it does what'cha gonna do? While it's true to say that the blackbooks end up looking like crap in a remarkably short period of time, a little swabbing isn't going to accelerate that process much.

I get swabbed quite often, especially for some reason when travelling with an MBP. I've even had very conscientious swabbers attempt to draw everything electronic out of my bag. However, they usually give up at about the 20th item :D

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

That might help.

I actually had a positive reading once with my old laptop. Gave me a bit of a scare when it came back positive for something and they had to retest twice. I thought they were going to bundle me into a tiny room with bright lights and call in the police. Turned out that either the swab or 'sniffer' had become a little contaminated, and was returning false positives.